• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Apartment Fire

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hugoboss

I rented a townhouse with 3 monthes left on my lease when the neighbor accidently started a fire. I had to argue with the landlord to let me stay in a small apartment that had not been cleaned yet for that evening. My apartment would be unlivable for several monthes. I asked for any apartment available since I did not want to move, a couple of day's later she told me she would have nothing available and that I could stay where I was for another week and that I would have to move out and also have everything out of my old apartment in 2 days since she already called the salvage company. The fire happened of the 18th she prorated my paid rent from the 20th and I was told I would get back the 300.00 pet deposit by the end of the month, since than it has been over 2 monthes I called today and now she is only giving me 200.00 dollars back on my pet deposit. The apartment is still being completely renovated. I had many moving costs since I had only a couple of day's to find a place and move. They have insurance renovating the apartment and they are still trying to get another 100.00 dollars from me. Do I have any rights at all? The fire is bad enough without having a landlord doing this to me.

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hugoboss:
I rented a townhouse with 3 monthes left on my lease when the neighbor accidently started a fire. I had to argue with the landlord to let me stay in a small apartment that had not been cleaned yet for that evening. My apartment would be unlivable for several monthes. I asked for any apartment available since I did not want to move, a couple of day's later she told me she would have nothing available and that I could stay where I was for another week and that I would have to move out and also have everything out of my old apartment in 2 days since she already called the salvage company. The fire happened of the 18th she prorated my paid rent from the 20th and I was told I would get back the 300.00 pet deposit by the end of the month, since than it has been over 2 monthes I called today and now she is only giving me 200.00 dollars back on my pet deposit. The apartment is still being completely renovated. I had many moving costs since I had only a couple of day's to find a place and move. They have insurance renovating the apartment and they are still trying to get another 100.00 dollars from me. Do I have any rights at all? The fire is bad enough without having a landlord doing this to me.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

File a small claims action for the entire amount of the security and pet deposit. In addition go for the maximum penalty for L not refunding the deposit within the stated time period pursuant to L/T law, which may be 2-3 times your normal deposit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">