• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Operating on the border

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bspencer

What is the name of your state? MN, WI

Hi,
I am starting a sole proprietorship doing computer consulting and web design. I am a Wisconsin resident and all my income taxes are filed in WI. However, currently I live in Minnesota, just across the river, and give my business address out as my minnesota address, and do a little over half my business here. Where should I file my assumed name forms, WI or MN, and If I file my assumed name in one state, can I file my taxes in the other.

Please advise on where my business lies. Can I choose, or is there a legal line?

ablessin

bspencer said:
What is the name of your state? MN, WI

Hi,
I am starting a sole proprietorship doing computer consulting and web design. I am a Wisconsin resident and all my income taxes are filed in WI. However, currently I live in Minnesota, just across the river, and give my business address out as my minnesota address, and do a little over half my business here. Where should I file my assumed name forms, WI or MN, and If I file my assumed name in one state, can I file my taxes in the other.

Please advise on where my business lies. Can I choose, or is there a legal line?

You probably would have to file where the physical business is located.
You might want to seek advice from a certified tax perparer for clarification.

Are you planning to move your home residence to WI, or keep your business in WI and your home in MN?

bspencer

My Perminant Residancy is in WI. I do business in both WI and MN. The mailing address for my business is in MN, just for siplicity, as that is where my apartment is.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">