• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

tenant wants to do home improvements

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

paulandjanet

I own a 3 family home in Staten island, new york and Ive just rented one of the apts to a couple who want to paint and redo some of the rooms to fix it up and make it nice. who is responsible for the cost? Thank you

D

David J. Miller

It's your house so you are. That doesn't mean you have to agree to it. If you want to keep your house icky and dirty that's your prerogative. If I were you, I'd take advantage of the cheap labor and let them do the work in exchange for you paying for the cost and maybe giving them a break on the rent.

[This message has been edited by David J. Miller (edited October 26, 2000).]

P

paulandjanet

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David J. Miller:
It's your house so you are. That doesn't mean you have to agree to it. If you want to keep your house icky and dirty that's your prerogative. If I were you, I'd take advantage of the cheap labor and let them do the work in exchange for you paying for the cost and maybe giving them a break on the rent.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

P

paulandjanet

I dont have a problem with paying them for doing the work. Its just that some times people take advantage of you and inflate the price a bit or insist on using the best of everything which means not just money but expensive stuff. What do you say to that J miller. I dont mind paying but within reason. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David J. Miller:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

P

paulandjanet

I dont have a problem paying for the supplies but then again it should be within reason. People have a tendancy to get the best of everything when someone else is paying for it. the question is where do I draw the line? example: if i can get a can of paint for $20 why would I want to pay $40 for the same paint Get my point? any suggestions J Miller? how much is just right?

P

pkish424

From experience, I also own a three family, I would never let a tenant do any work in my apartments. I've had tenants paint the the wall purple and all the wood molding was painted grey. Its horrible! Also, and remodeling that they want to do has to be done after i have given them permission in writing, and they have hired my licensed and insured carpenter, plumber or electrican...Be very careful what you allow them to do....

M

Mhami

Why don't you buy the supplies for your tenant. That way you can control what repairs are done and how much they cost. You can also control the paint color that way.

The thing that I found is that when a tenant does any kind of improvements they feel they own the world. This happened with a rental we have and when the tenants left we had to make several deductions from their security deposit and the tenants felt that because they did improvements (which we did not authorize) that they were entitled to their full security deposit. NOT!

Hope this helps.

Marianne

D

David J. Miller

Like Mhami said, buy the paint yourself so you are certain the home is not being painted a color you dislike. Additionally, get everything in writing. i.e. T agrees to and list specifically what is to be painted and what color (specifications). L agrees to purchase all products and materials and reduce T's rent by $X in exchange for said work. Have a clause that references the part of the lease that talks about damages so that T's do not misinterpret this agreement as a license to damage the property.

And if all else fails leave the property in it's present condition. As I said, it's your house and you do not have to make improvements or allow the tenants to make improvements if you don't want to. (Unless the house is in violation of local building code.)

I am not an attorney or a painter or a carpenter, plumber, cement mason...I'm not a rich man. I'm not a tall man. I'm not a particularly attractive man nor am I a milk man or a post man... I'm just simply "the man." Heeheeheehee

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David J. Miller:
Like Mhami said, buy the paint yourself so you are certain the home is not being painted a color you dislike. Additionally, get everything in writing. i.e. T agrees to and list specifically what is to be painted and what color (specifications). L agrees to purchase all products and materials and reduce T's rent by $X in exchange for said work. Have a clause that references the part of the lease that talks about damages so that T's do not misinterpret this agreement as a license to damage the property.

And if all else fails leave the property in it's present condition. As I said, it's your house and you do not have to make improvements or allow the tenants to make improvements if you don't want to. (Unless the house is in violation of local building code.)

I am not an attorney or a painter or a carpenter, plumber, cement mason...I'm not a rich man. I'm not a tall man. I'm not a particularly attractive man nor am I a milk man or a post man... I'm just simply "the man." Heeheeheehee
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here is what I do.
Include in a written agreement signed by both L/T:

1) description of the work that will be completed (in detail ie. color and type of paint, type landscaping flowers, grass, floor covering, repair work etc.), who will supply the material and pay for the material.

2) the date the work will commence and the completion date.

3) the value of the work ie. for painting the 3 rooms, upon approval of L, L will pay T $ 500
or give written approval that T may deduct said amount from the rent due.

4) L must approve the work within 5 days of completion. If the work is unacceptable, T will receive no payment or rent credit.

Remember not to have T take on work that only licensed contractors are supposed to do such as plumbing and electrical work. Also do not agree to have T paint areas where tall ladders and scaffolding needs to be used (to paint, repair high walls, ceilings, second story walls, roof eaves etc.) due to potential injury liability. T could be considered an employee of L and not an independent contractor so if there is an injury your homeowners insurance would have to cover any claims.

Lastly, from a tax standpoint, I have better proof to claim a deduction as a repair/maintenance expense if I pay T for the work. If T deducts the amount and pays the net rent, I can only claim the net income as rent with no deduction proof.

[This message has been edited by HomeGuru (edited October 27, 2000).]

D

David J. Miller

See I knew Homer G would chime in with an all inclusive response. Dat's why he's got dah name "Guru" and not some dumb name like David J. Miller, which by the way most people assume is my real name, but is it?

My real name may not be David J. Miller but even it is and I say something on this sight that people either want to beat the crap out of me for or sue me, good luck finding me. Have you ever opened the telephone book to David Miller? There's more David Miller's then there are Chin's in China. My real name is actually Samalaldoola Onalahoohoo.

Hooowaah!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">