• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

New Home Heat/AC Nightmare

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

JBaldock

M Martin,
We purchased new home May 2K. Home was built between 1864-1872, the 2 story house is in perfect condition. The only thing that bothered me before buying, was the upstairs heat & A/C. We questioned the seller several times, they never seemed to want to answer our questions about it. We also asked the real estate agent about the second floor unit, everytime we did she started studdering and changed the subject. So we paid to have our own inspection before closing. The company did the inspection ordered by "real estate agent", for us. The inspection warned to budget for new second floor unit in the next few years due to the age of the unit. After we moved in we burned up all summer ,upstairs. After trying for six weeks to get someone to fix the unit. The heat & A/C repairman informed us the upstairs duct was not wrapped to fix the problem we needed new duct work for $1800.00 but we would be better off to invest in a new unit and duct work for $4,000.00. After being told of the need for Insulation, I found a new roll of duct wrap insulation in our storage shed that had been there for sometime. This really didn't help the matter.
A few weeks ago I went out to light pilot on dowstairs unit ,I couldn't get it to light so I called repair man again. He came out worked on unit and lit pilot that night it blew out. He came out again and found a hole in heat chamber. He said it was luck it blew out because if it hadn't it could have drawn carbon monoxide into house and killed our family. It will cost $3,000.00 to replace downstairs unit. Now I'm looking at $7-8,000.00 out of pocket for a house we moved into 5 months ago. I feel we were lied to buy the seller and the real estate agent. The Heat & A/C co. said there was no way these problems were not known of by the seller , they had to have had the same problems we've been dealing with and they would back us uo in court. What are my rights as new owner in the state of Kentucky.
Thank You for any help,
JBaldock

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JBaldock:
M Martin,
We purchased new home May 2K. Home was built between 1864-1872, the 2 story house is in perfect condition. The only thing that bothered me before buying, was the upstairs heat & A/C. We questioned the seller several times, they never seemed to want to answer our questions about it. We also asked the real estate agent about the second floor unit, everytime we did she started studdering and changed the subject. So we paid to have our own inspection before closing. The company did the inspection ordered by "real estate agent", for us. The inspection warned to budget for new second floor unit in the next few years due to the age of the unit. After we moved in we burned up all summer ,upstairs. After trying for six weeks to get someone to fix the unit. The heat & A/C repairman informed us the upstairs duct was not wrapped to fix the problem we needed new duct work for $1800.00 but we would be better off to invest in a new unit and duct work for $4,000.00. After being told of the need for Insulation, I found a new roll of duct wrap insulation in our storage shed that had been there for sometime. This really didn't help the matter.
A few weeks ago I went out to light pilot on dowstairs unit ,I couldn't get it to light so I called repair man again. He came out worked on unit and lit pilot that night it blew out. He came out again and found a hole in heat chamber. He said it was luck it blew out because if it hadn't it could have drawn carbon monoxide into house and killed our family. It will cost $3,000.00 to replace downstairs unit. Now I'm looking at $7-8,000.00 out of pocket for a house we moved into 5 months ago. I feel we were lied to buy the seller and the real estate agent. The Heat & A/C co. said there was no way these problems were not known of by the seller , they had to have had the same problems we've been dealing with and they would back us uo in court. What are my rights as new owner in the state of Kentucky.
Thank You for any help,
JBaldock
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hire a real estate attorney to file a comlaint against the Seller and the real estate agent for misrepresentation and nondisclosure of a material fact.
Did the seller property condition disclosure statement list anything wrong with the HVAC system?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">