• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Slumlord....I need lots of ADVICE

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

puddette

I had a PFA against my husband. This gave me the right to live on our rented house until I was able to find a place to live. We have a 7 yr. old daughter.The landlord is friends with my husband and decided to make the place unliveable. I had a restraining order put against him too. I was only there 2 weeks and the landlord did not loose any rental money. As I was moving out he took the door knobs off all the doors and I lost alot of items either to him or my husband ransacking my house. I want to take the landlord to small claims court but I lost alot of reciepts for the items I lost (Aprox. $5000.00). Do I have a case or should I just cut my losses. He viotlated a restrainging order and I just feel he should be accountable for this. Thank you for your help.

D

David J. Miller

So let me get this straight...

Someone essentially broker into your home and destroyed $5,000 worth of things and you are wondering if you have a case. Yes, it's called breaking and entering and vandalism. Call the police and file a police report. Then take the police report with you to small claims court.

Did anyone witness these people in your home? If so, bring them to court with you. If you can prove the landlord was involved, I'm certain he's in deep sh** as is the husband for violating a restraining order and you stand to make a lot of money.

I am not an attorney so check back for additional comments from an attorney on this sight.

P

puddette

My problem is I dont have any reciepts for this stuff because they were all in my desk. The desk was destroyed, literally bust up piece by piece. The landlord called my mother-in-law (we are on good terms) to come over the house. She is my witness that he took all the locks off the door. She thought I took the stuff that was missing. Thanks again for you advice.

P

puddette

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by puddette:
I had a PFA against my husband. This gave me the right to live on our rented house until I was able to find a place to live. We have a 7 yr. old daughter.The landlord is friends with my husband and decided to make the place unliveable. I had a restraining order put against him too. I was only there 2 weeks and the landlord did not loose any rental money. As I was moving out he took the door knobs off all the doors and I lost alot of items either to him or my husband ransacking my house. I want to take the landlord to small claims court but I lost alot of reciepts for the items I lost (Aprox. $5000.00). Do I have a case or should I just cut my losses. He viotlated a restrainging order and I just feel he should be accountable for this. Thank you for your help.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>This is in the state of PA.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">