• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Was told I could lose my license for a year at court. How is this? Need Help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Zah12345

Speeding and Reckless. Can lose license. Please help.

What is the name of your state?Ticket in NC, License in MD, live in FL

I went to court the other day in NC for a speeding and reckless driving citation. 95 in a 70. It was a mandatory court appearance and any advice would be very appreciated.

At court I was going to plead not guilty in hopes of getting the speeding offense moved down to a lower one and possibly getting rid of the reckless charge that went with it.

The judge basically told me that if I tried to contest the ticket and lost, they would take my license away right then and keep it for a year. I have no previous points on my license because this was my first offense, and I thought you needed 12 to lose it, so how could they have taken my license.

I didn't want to risk that becasue I still needed to drive back to FL where I go to school now. I got a continuance for July 19th. A lawyer came up to me afterwards and said he could help for around $400. Is that a reasonable price? And also how much does a lawyer do for you, for example, if I'm facing 8 points on my license, how many points can he take it down to.

Thank you, any help would be wonderrful.

Last edited:

Ouch, 95 is serious bad in NC. You can get a suspension for anything greater than 80 but I thought it was 30-60 days for a first offense. The points have nothing to do with the suspension in this case.

If you have an out of state license and commit an offense which is suspendible or revocable in North Carolina, the NC DMV cannot suspend your driver's license but can suspend or revoke your privilege to drive in North Carolina. They will also notify your licensee state which may take additional action.

The legal fees are about average and he can probably minimize risk of loosing your licence. If he's good and catches the Judge in the right moment, he has a chance to plea it down to a 9 over.

http://www.ncsu.edu/stud_affairs/legal_services/legaldocs/Trafficpoints.htm

I'm not sure I go with someone who walked up to me in court. I'd check around and ask for references.

Zah12345

Thank you for your help.

Now when you say plead it down to 9 over do you also think a lawyer could get rid of the Reckless driving?

Also, with reckless driving, does that charge just come automatically with a speed that high? Becasue there was no one on the road except a semi-truck in the distance and I was just going in a straight line.

Zah12345

Any more help please?

Its weird for this speeding to have so many reprucussions. My friend was speeding 85 in a 60 in VA and was complaining to me about a $200 ticket. I wish thats all I had to do.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">