• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

problems with HOA president

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kevster52

What is the name of your state? OH

We have been renting a home in an HOA for almost 3 years. Part of the HOA's common areas is a pool. The landlord, with whom we have a good relationship, lives in the next city over and keeps current on all HOA dues. He does this so that we, the tenants, have access to the common areas and pool. This is implied and stated in our lease. The past 2 summers, there was not a problem with our family using the HOA pool. However, last summer, the president of the HOA and I got into a pretty heated argument over a discipline issue regarding one of my children. (this president has a reputation for being a hothead and someone who noses into everyone's business)Now this year, we get a letter from him, 4 days before the pool opens for the sunmer, stating that pool tags cannot be issued to renters because of the insurance policy for the common areas and pool. This letter is not signed by anyone, just printed on the HOA letterhead. I told the landlord, and he is furious and says he will get a lawyer if necessary.

What are our rights here? There was no problem the last 2 summers with renters, us, using the pool. What can we do?

Shel77

Get a copy of the CC&R's from your landlord this will help you in obeying the community rules, and will also help you to find what the rules pertaining to renters use of common areas would be, In our community renters do not have use of any common areas they have said that a owner must accompany all vistors into these areas therefore renters (not being owners, or members of the HOA) can not use them without the owner present. Look at your CC&R's and see what it says.

kevster52

Right. But the last 2 years, no one had a problem with it. As far as i know, that is not a regulation. The reason that the HOA president gave was INSURANCE, not anything to do with the rules and regulations of the HOA. Plus, he and I had some disagreements last year and I think that he is doing this to be petty.

kevster52

Additonally, I just found out that the HOA CC & R's for the HOA where I live has NOTHING in them in regards to renters using the pool and common areas. So if it is not in the association rules, can they do this to my family?

Shel77

Does it say anything about visitors sometimes it will refer only to that owners vs. visitors does it say anything about owners having to accompany visitors into the common areas? If not you will have to let the landlord handle it, thankfully he is willing to. You really can not do much since you are neither an owner nor a HOA member. I may be wrong here but I can see how blaming it on the Insurance company would work but only if the CC&R's state that a owner has to accompany all visitors because the owner is the only one who has signed that he will abide by all rule and regulation for use of the common areas so since you have not and can not sign these they (HOA) doesn't have anything to say that you will use the (pool) and abide by the rules if the owner was to accompany you it would then be his responsibility to make sure you followed the rules. Just like if you don't mow your yard they would have to fine the owner.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">