• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

putting a home in a trust

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

blahblahblah

What is the name of your state? New Mexico

I have an elderly parent that wants to put his home, fully paid off, in a trust. He seems to think that this would be the way to go to keep all his kids from fighting if he were to quit claim the house to one of us.

Is it hard to put a house in a trust....can it be done without a lawyer?
He doesnt' trust those damn lawyers....his words, not mine.
Any ideas?

John Se

Trusts and lawyers

Why wouldnt he trust HIS Lawer?

But he could also just deed the house to all of you as Joint tennants (leaving himself a life estate) and then let you fight it out in a partition suit when one of you wants to sell it when dad's gone. very messy. What are his real intentions and How many heirs are we talking about? Or the executor of his estate (there is a will correct?) could just sell it and split the proceeds usually share and share alike.

S

seniorjudge

blahblahblah said:
What is the name of your state? New Mexico

I have an elderly parent that wants to put his home, fully paid off, in a trust. He seems to think that this would be the way to go to keep all his kids from fighting if he were to quit claim the house to one of us.

Is it hard to put a house in a trust....can it be done without a lawyer?
He doesnt' trust those damn lawyers....his words, not mine.
Any ideas?
Does he trust his kids more than lawyers?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">