• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bank wants more money

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

ldodson1969

When I got to my last mortgage payment, I called the bank like I was supposed to to do to find out how much my last payment would be. The person on the phone told me a figure and I sent a check in that amount and wrote on the check payed in full, but I forgot to write the account # on the check. Although, this is the only account I have with them. Now I have the bank calling me telling me that I owe more money. In a three day period I had them call me 3 times with 3 very different amounts that I owe. I tell them that I called and got the amount and payed it. But they say that that person give me the wrong amount. My question is since I wrote Paid In Full on the check but did not include the account # and they accepted it,do I still owe them money?
My property is in West Virginia and The bank is located in Pennsylvania.

[This message has been edited by ldodson1969 (edited October 29, 2000).]

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ldodson1969:
When I got to my last mortgage payment, I called the bank like I was supposed to to do to find out how much my last payment would be. The person on the phone told me a figure and I sent a check in that amount and wrote on the check payed in full, but I forgot to write the account # on the check. Although, this is the only account I have with them. Now I have the bank calling me telling me that I owe more money. In a three day period I had them call me 3 times with 3 very different amounts that I owe. I tell them that I called and got the amount and payed it. But they say that that person give me the wrong amount. My question is since I wrote Paid In Full on the check but did not include the account # and they accepted it,do I still owe them money?
My property is in West Virginia and The bank is located in Pennsylvania.

[This message has been edited by ldodson1969 (edited October 29, 2000).]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Please state the amount that you paid and the amount that the bank is saying that you owe. You are supposed to get a year-end statement from them and if paying off the balance, a payoff statement in writing.
The "paid in full" memo on the check is a nice try but will not work because the mortgage is secured on real estate. The bank is not an unsecured creditor.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">