• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

minimum electrical amps in apt dwellings

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mrsullyspice

In the state of New Jersey, what is the minimum electrical power an apartment is required to operate under by law? I live in a one bedroom, 45 home rent controlled apt complex operating with 15amps of power.

[email protected]

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mrsullyspice:
In the state of New Jersey, what is the minimum electrical power an apartment is required to operate under by law? I live in a one bedroom, 45 home rent controlled apt complex operating with 15amps of power.

[email protected]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is a legal advice forum not an electrical code discussion group. But since I know, I'll tell.

You need to find out the age of the building and the applicable electrical code in force at the time. Off hand I would say that even if you had all gas major appliances, the 15 amps would be insufficient. The National Electrical Code requires sufficient amperage for lights and plugs. Is there only one 15 amp breaker that serves the entire 1 bedroom apartment unit?
Tell me more. Do you have any major appliances in the apartment such as range, oven, water heater, dishwasher, air conditioner/heater, washer, dryer etc. Are these gas or elecric? So you have a garbage disposal and refrigerator? Generally an older unit that you have described has a main service of between 30-60 amps. The building must be really old with maybe fuses instead of circuit breakers. Even if the building is old, the total amperage should be a lot more than just 15. Something does not seem right here.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">