• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Battling it out With Sister

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mdelrocio

What is the name of your state? Texas

My father made a deed of gift to myself and two of my sisters when my mother passed away. He later changed his mind about having my oldest sister on the deed and thought he changed it. He didn't realize he was no longer owner and could not do it. My father passed away a year ago.

I didn't find this out until I was preparing my will and realized that my oldest sister was still on the deed. Now, my sister and I want my other sister to sign a new deed where she relinquishes her part, but she is refusing to. She has plenty of property of her own and has no intention of ever living in the house.

Is there a legal way where we can make her pay for property taxes and improvements on the house? We are hoping that she will realize that she is legally obligated to make these expenses and go ahead and sign over her share which is what my father wanted in the end.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">