• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

fenceing the property line

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

Nimbo

I post the abbreviated version of my last question so it dosent get confuseing. If I fence my property and the neighbor gets a survey, finding my fence is on his property, will he likely win in court for the cost of the surveyor, or anything else, or will I simply have to move my fence.

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nimbo:
I post the abbreviated version of my last question so it dosent get confuseing. If I fence my property and the neighbor gets a survey, finding my fence is on his property, will he likely win in court for the cost of the surveyor, or anything else, or will I simply have to move my fence.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If your fence goes up and the neighbor asks you to move it because it is on his property, you refuse, the neighbor files a court complaint, a survey is ocmpleted and indeed your fence is on his property: yes, you will likely be ordered by the court to pay for the survey. You will also be required to move the fence or leave it, which then becomes the property of the neighbor.

My advice to you is for you to get a survey prior to installing your fence. That is the correct action to take. Otherwise how would you know exactly where to build your fence? You need to confirm the legal boundary lines or face the consequences if you are wrong since you did not mitigate.

[This message has been edited by HomeGuru (edited October 29, 2000).]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">