• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Property disclosure

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sheila b thames

I closed on a condo on Oct. 19th in Connecticut. From about August/September I and my lawyer have been asking for the property disclosure form - We never got it!!!! Well of course I now found out that the unit had pipe damage in January of this year because his tenant removed the a/c's and turned off the heat. The condo association held him negligent and he repaired the damage. My questions are: 1) what exactly is supposed to be disclosed on a property disclore form? what recourse do I have at this point since it was never given it to me. The association president says the previous owner did not have to tell me if he truly believed the problem was fixed. I don't agree! 2) I do not have a good feeling that the previous owner and the association completely resolved the matter considering that "common elements" ( the pipes which busted) were involved. When Iasked the pres. he simply said the unit owner fixed it. Shouldn't the association have fixed it and charged him for it?? No one has any documentation of what happened or how it was resolved. I am going to request something in writing but I have a really bad feeling that this is going to come back to me in some way!!! HEEELLLPP!! My entire life savings went into this!

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sheila b thames:
I closed on a condo on Oct. 19th in Connecticut. From about August/September I and my lawyer have been asking for the property disclosure form - We never got it!!!! Well of course I now found out that the unit had pipe damage in January of this year because his tenant removed the a/c's and turned off the heat. The condo association held him negligent and he repaired the damage. My questions are: 1) what exactly is supposed to be disclosed on a property disclore form? what recourse do I have at this point since it was never given it to me. The association president says the previous owner did not have to tell me if he truly believed the problem was fixed. I don't agree! 2) I do not have a good feeling that the previous owner and the association completely resolved the matter considering that "common elements" ( the pipes which busted) were involved. When Iasked the pres. he simply said the unit owner fixed it. Shouldn't the association have fixed it and charged him for it?? No one has any documentation of what happened or how it was resolved. I am going to request something in writing but I have a really bad feeling that this is going to come back to me in some way!!! HEEELLLPP!! My entire life savings went into this!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What did your lawyer advise you to close on the property without receiving the property condition disclosure statement? And why did your lawyer not demand documentation from the owner and Association? How come you did not ask your lawyer these same questions that you asked in your post?

The items that must be disclosed are conditions which are material facts that would affect the value of the property or cause a Buyer not to buy. In this case, the damage and repair should have been disclosed by both the owner and the Association. The dislosure law applies to the owner only and not to the Association. I find it hilarious in that the Asociation President wants to practice law and give you erroneous information with respect to property condition disclosure. You must demand in writing from the Association the history of events, who did the work, when it was done and what was fixed to include copies of repair invoices etc.

Sorry to say but it appears that your Association President and your attorney are both incompetent.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">