• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Advise on mulitple owners of property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

c1234

What is the name of your state?OK
First the history of the situation. My mother-in-law loaned my brother-in-law money to build a house on land that had a joint ownership with his two minor sons. My brother-law-in decided that he did not want to own the house any more and did not want to pay his mother back so he deeded back to her his ownership of the land. When his first son turned eighteen he deeded the house/land to his grandmother making her 2/3 owner of the property. My husband and myself then proceeded to buy the property from my mother-in-law. A mortgage and note for 2/3 value of the property was placed on the property. Originally, my other nephew had stated that he would deed his share to his grandmother when he turned 18 in order for her to sell the property to get her money back that she loaned for the house. Now he wants 1/3 of the property. At first he was willing to accept 1/3 of the land and we would each release the property for the other. Now he wants the 1/3 that has the house on it. We have talked to a lawyer and he stated that my nephew is not liable for the money owed to his grandmother and that we can force a partition sale. Does anyone know if there is a way for my mother-in-law to get back the money originally borrowed for the house? At the partition sale my nephew will get 1/3 of the money that is over the amount mortgaged.

Thanks for your advise.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">