• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord is trying to evict me from my rent stabilzed apartment. What are my rights?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hazelnyc

I have a rent stabilized apartment in NYC's lowers east side. This apartment has been in my family for about 35 years. It is registered under my Mother's name. I have been on 2 renewal leases since I turned 18yrs old. When my Mother renewed our current lease I couldn't sign it because I was away at Grad school. When I called the landlord's office the building manager said it shouldn't be a problem because I have been on 2 previous leases. Two weeks ago we recieved a NOTICE TO CURE from the landlord's lawyer. The letter stated that my mother was ilegally subleasing the apartment to me and my sister. He claims that my mother is currently leasing another apartment in another boro. I mailed the lawyer and the landlord a certified letter stating that his records are in correct. Neither of us have every lived at another apartment nor do we hold a lease for any other place. The NOTICE TO CURE also said that if we did not move out by 10/31/00, eviction proceedings would begin immediately. In addition, my rent check was returned to me. What do I do now?

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hazelnyc:
I have a rent stabilized apartment in NYC's lowers east side. This apartment has been in my family for about 35 years. It is registered under my Mother's name. I have been on 2 renewal leases since I turned 18yrs old. When my Mother renewed our current lease I couldn't sign it because I was away at Grad school. When I called the landlord's office the building manager said it shouldn't be a problem because I have been on 2 previous leases. Two weeks ago we recieved a NOTICE TO CURE from the landlord's lawyer. The letter stated that my mother was ilegally subleasing the apartment to me and my sister. He claims that my mother is currently leasing another apartment in another boro. I mailed the lawyer and the landlord a certified letter stating that his records are in correct. Neither of us have every lived at another apartment nor do we hold a lease for any other place. The NOTICE TO CURE also said that if we did not move out by 10/31/00, eviction proceedings would begin immediately. In addition, my rent check was returned to me. What do I do now? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is your mother living in the apartment with you two. If not, L has a valid claim since your mother does not live there.

H

hazelnyc

Yes, my mother still lives with me. She's retired (though, she's not 65 yrs old) so she travels a lot. But she still recieves her mail and still has her belongings in the apartment. I don't think she should be penalized for taking vacations.

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hazelnyc:
Yes, my mother still lives with me. She's retired (though, she's not 65 yrs old) so she travels a lot. But she still recieves her mail and still has her belongings in the apartment. I don't think she should be penalized for taking vacations. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You need to hire an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">