• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Shoplifting, loss prevention charge.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

seed

What is the name of your state? Manitoba.

I recently got caught shoplifting and there were no police invlolved, but today I got a notice saying that if I Do not pay the loss prevention department $325 that they will criminally charge me. Obviously I do not want to go to court with this because the cost would be much greater, and I did something stupid, I want to pay for it and get on with my life.

The one question I have is how can I tell they won't screw me over. Although it says in the letter they won't, I'm pretty much sending in my money with no gaurentee at all that they won't criminally charge me. Although I'm doubtful that they will, it is a huge company afterall, but it is still kind of unsettling to think that they could.

Is there no way I can gaurentee they will not do so?

Thanks.

BadJudgement

If you've got a signed letter from their legal department stating the conditions that include no charges being filed if you pay them you should be in the clear. Make sure you send them a bank certfied cashiers check and send it through the USPS and get delivery confirmation and also make sure it's to be signed for so you have proof they received the money.

Veronica1228

BadJudgement said:
If you've got a signed letter from their legal department stating the conditions that include no charges being filed if you pay them you should be in the clear. Make sure you send them a bank certfied cashiers check and send it through the USPS and get delivery confirmation and also make sure it's to be signed for so you have proof they received the money.
How can they send anything USPS when they are not in the U.S???

Manitoba is a province in Canada, hence racer72's response.

BadJudgement

Veronica1228 said:
How can they send anything USPS when they are not in the U.S???

Manitoba is a province in Canada, hence racer72's response.
Whoops...LoL!!! I guess I should have looked at his location first!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">