• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dog-walking & roadside private property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hsauer

In my neighborhood I recently had a dispute with a nearby property owner who does not want my dog defiling his yard. My question falls into the area of public/private property ownership - in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.

My neighbor lives on the corner of two streets. I live across the street from him. Picture a table with legs. The street that divides us is one leg of this table; we both live along the "tabletop" street. I commonly walk my dog along the "tabletop" and he once hopped over the curb onto my neighbors property at the corner of the two streets I've described. The dog situated himself about two feet from both curbs, near the street-identifying sign owned by our township. There he "defiled" the property and my neighbor flew into a tirade.

Because we have no sidewalks in this semi-rural setting, and because at the street-side corners of our properties there are commonly posted street signs and real-estate developer's signs (directing people to "open houses" in the neighborhood), I have always assumed that a certain portion of each property is "open to the public" - specifically a small portion of property separated from the street by the curb. In my particular case the dog was closer to the curb than was the township's street sign identifying the two streets that intersect there.

Any advice on how to resolve this confusion will be appreciated!

Howard

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hsauer:
In my neighborhood I recently had a dispute with a nearby property owner who does not want my dog defiling his yard. My question falls into the area of public/private property ownership - in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.

My neighbor lives on the corner of two streets. I live across the street from him. Picture a table with legs. The street that divides us is one leg of this table; we both live along the "tabletop" street. I commonly walk my dog along the "tabletop" and he once hopped over the curb onto my neighbors property at the corner of the two streets I've described. The dog situated himself about two feet from both curbs, near the street-identifying sign owned by our township. There he "defiled" the property and my neighbor flew into a tirade.

Because we have no sidewalks in this semi-rural setting, and because at the street-side corners of our properties there are commonly posted street signs and real-estate developer's signs (directing people to "open houses" in the neighborhood), I have always assumed that a certain portion of each property is "open to the public" - specifically a small portion of property separated from the street by the curb. In my particular case the dog was closer to the curb than was the township's street sign identifying the two streets that intersect there.

Any advice on how to resolve this confusion will be appreciated!

Howard
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do not walk your dog anywhere near his property.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">