• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

landlord is selling my building, but I have a year lease

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

Bettyjothomas

My landlord is selling my building to a developer who is tearing down the property. I have a year lease, and am only two months into it. I will have to move out soon according to him. It says nothing in my lease about selling the property. I want to know if I can stay for the rest of my lease. Will he owe me for moving expenses? Will he have to pay out the rest of my lease? What are my rights?

E

echoj13

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bettyjothomas:
My landlord is selling my building to a developer who is tearing down the property. I have a year lease, and am only two months into it. I will have to move out soon according to him. It says nothing in my lease about selling the property. I want to know if I can stay for the rest of my lease. Will he owe me for moving expenses? Will he have to pay out the rest of my lease? What are my rights?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> My husband an I live in a Half house. Our side is the only one being sold. We were concerned also. We called a real estate agency. They told us that the person buying the home is to be informed that there is tenants there with a lease. She also said that the buyer must honor the lease we signed. This may vary from state to state. My advice is to call a real estate agency near you. I hope I can be of help.

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bettyjothomas:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You have a right to stay for the duration of your fixed lease. You also have a right to ask for moving expenses should you decide to move out early. In addition, you also have a right to negotiate
a "buy-out" of your lease. Find out when the developer plans to close on the property, when the building is planned to be demolished, when L wants you to move out and what new development is planned to be built there and when. How many tenants are in the building and are there any other tenants that you are aware of that also have fixed leases and are being asked to move out early.

Reason being, you can negotiate a lease buy-out on your own, or maybe if other tenants are involved, form a group and negotiate as a group.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">