• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Videotape without consent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

luciacovelli

I live in Massachusetts.

Is it legal for me to videotape a person's front yard if it is visible from across the street? Do I have the right to videotape people coming and going and other activity which is visible with a zoom lens from across the street?
I am sitting in a parked car in a parking lot. If the person observes my presence with a camera, can he take legal action against me or accuse me of harassment?

Thank you.

compworkr

If that portion of the person’s front yard is visible to the public, then yes I’d say it’s legal. It’s more problematic when you’re using a zoom lens to peer into, for example, the person’s bedroom that’s not visible to the public. If the person in, let’s say a residential area, sees you with a camera in the car in a neighboring parking lot, taking pictures of her in a room that's not visible to the public, I suppose she can contact the police and they may investigate and question you about your intentions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">