• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

how long must I keep property left behind?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

craigh00

I just moved in to a apartment with a person that had lived there four years with one other roommate. The person that left moved to another state so they left behind several boxes of personnal belongings that I have no estimated value for. The person I moved in with told the person that left It would be alright for them to leave the stuff behind till they could make arrangements to remove the belongings. In California how long do I have to keep the items before I can discard them. The owner of the property is not paying or reimbursing us for the storage of their stuff. I am not happy about paying rent for someone else to store their belongings.

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by craigh00:
I just moved in to a apartment with a person that had lived there four years with one other roommate. The person that left moved to another state so they left behind several boxes of personnal belongings that I have no estimated value for. The person I moved in with told the person that left It would be alright for them to leave the stuff behind till they could make arrangements to remove the belongings. In California how long do I have to keep the items before I can discard them. The owner of the property is not paying or reimbursing us for the storage of their stuff. I am not happy about paying rent for someone else to store their belongings. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can not discard the personal effects if your roommate already has an agreement with the T that moved out to hold the stuff until it is claimed. Once your roommate made the agreement, it took the issue out of the L/T law and became a gentleman's agreement and contractual issue between the 2 parties involved. You are not an involved party with respect to their agreement.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">