• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to amend my Birth Certificate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mingus63

What is the name of your state? Nevada

I currently reside in Nevada but was born in California. I am trying to get my Commercial Drivers License Learners Permit but I am running into problems doing so because I have been using my Birth Name for the since 1989 but my Birth Certificate reflects my adopted name and the Nevada DMV will not issue a CDL Learners Permit under my Birth Name because my Birth Certificate reflects my adopted name and all of my other identification and business is and has been under my Birth Name. They are requiring that I obtain a Ceritfied copy of my Record of Adoption showing the transition from my Birth Name to my adopted name - once produced they will issue a CDL Learners Permit under my adopted name. Given that the law states that as a Commercial Driver I may possess only one license I will have to relinquish my Birth Name into limgo unitl such time that I can formally petition the court to change my name legally to my Birth Name - which is what I want.

My question is this - can I simply, once I have received the Certified Copy of my Record of Adoption, have my Birth Certificate amended to reflect my Birth Name as well since the proof of it's validity would be confirmed buy the Record of Adoption ...

If anyone has any insight on this it would be greatly appreciated. Thank for your time.

LdiJ

mingus63 said:
What is the name of your state? Nevada

I currently reside in Nevada but was born in California. I am trying to get my Commercial Drivers License Learners Permit but I am running into problems doing so because I have been using my Birth Name for the since 1989 but my Birth Certificate reflects my adopted name and the Nevada DMV will not issue a CDL Learners Permit under my Birth Name because my Birth Certificate reflects my adopted name and all of my other identification and business is and has been under my Birth Name. They are requiring that I obtain a Ceritfied copy of my Record of Adoption showing the transition from my Birth Name to my adopted name - once produced they will issue a CDL Learners Permit under my adopted name. Given that the law states that as a Commercial Driver I may possess only one license I will have to relinquish my Birth Name into limgo unitl such time that I can formally petition the court to change my name legally to my Birth Name - which is what I want.

My question is this - can I simply, once I have received the Certified Copy of my Record of Adoption, have my Birth Certificate amended to reflect my Birth Name as well since the proof of it's validity would be confirmed buy the Record of Adoption ...

If anyone has any insight on this it would be greatly appreciated. Thank for your time.
Why not just go ahead and legally change your name back to your birth name? Since you are an adult you are free to change your name to whatever you like....You could change it to "Blue Moon" if you wanted to....and it would probably be quicker and easier than dealing with your adoption records.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">