• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

driving under suspension

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

blkbimmer85

New Hampshire, this is a relatively simple question i think. I had my license suspended for 90 days due to multiple speeding tickets. two months into my suspension, i got pulled over (yes, for speeding). My court date is set for the day after i am supposed to get my license back. What are the possible outcomes of my court visit. can they take my license away again? or will i just get a fine. i dont mind a fine, i can handle that. If they can take my license, is there any way that I could talk my way out of it? If it makes a difference, i'm 19.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

blkbimmer85 said:
If they can take my license, is there any way that I could talk my way out of it?

My response:

As soon as you enter the courtroom, you crawl on your hands and knees up the middle aisle, saying, "Oh, pleeeeeeeeeeeze, Your Honor, puleeeeeez, Your Honor. I promise I'll be a good boy! Pleeeeeeeeeeeeez, don't take my license, PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESE!!"

Then, you go through the two swinging doors and approach the bench, offering the judge a nice sexual favor.

IAAL

JETX

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
Then, you go through the two swinging doors and approach the bench, offering the judge a nice sexual favor.
Pretty easy since he will already be on his knees!!! :D

S

seniorjudge

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
...Then, you go through the two swinging doors and approach the bench, offering the judge a nice sexual favor....

Be sure to start your spiel out with, "If it please the court...."

You Are Guilty

Lucky for you, New Hampshire has a loophole that most people don't know about. Like most states, you can offer the Judge a "cash" payment in advance of your fine (amount is up to you but there's a $20 minimum).

The "loophole", if you want to call it that, is that when you hand the Judge the money, you have to say the following, word for word: "Your Honor, here, I think you dropped this." In response, the Judge will say "Sorry Sir, no I didn't". That's your cue to say, forcefully, "I saw it fall out of your robes when you bent over."

This back-and-forth is the "secret code" that NH Judges use to identify law enforement personnel. And, as you probably know, they get "special treatment", so you might as well take advantage of the opportunity.

Oh yeah, one last thing - if you come in with a "wifebeater" t-shirt (aka a "farmer's tuxedo"), you can skip the whole dialogue part if you offer the judge exactly $37.15.

Good luck.

S

seniorjudge

blkbimmer85 said:
seriously, though. my court date is on wednesday. i would really like to know what to expect.
Standard answer

Here are some hints on appearing in court:

Dress professionally in clean clothes.

Do not wear message shirts.

Don't chew gum, smoke, or eat.

Bathe and wash your hair.

Go to court beforehand some day before you actually have to go to watch how things go.

Speak politely and deferentially. If you argue or dispute something, do it professionally and without emotion.

Ask the court clerk who you talk to about a diversion (meaning you want to plead to a different, lesser charge), if applicable in your situation. Ask about traffic school and the ticket not go on your record, if applicable.

Here are five stories that criminal court judges hear the most (and I suggest you do not use them or variations of them):

1. I’ve been saved! (This is not religion specific; folks from all kinds of religious backgrounds use this one.)

2. My girlfriend/mother/sister/daughter is pregnant/sick/dying/dead/crippled and needs my help.

3. I’ve got a job in [name a state five hundred miles away].

4. This is the first time I ever did this.

5. You’ve got the wrong guy. (A variation of this one is the phantom defendant story: “It wasn’t me driving, it was a hitchhiker I picked up. He wrecked the car, drug me behind the wheel then took off.”)

https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?p=854687#post854687

Public defender’s advice

http://newyork.craigslist.org/about/best/sfo/70300494.html

Other people may give you other advice; stand by.

Curt581

blkbimmer85 said:
i just want to know if i'm going to get to keep my license.
You can't keep what you don't already have.

You didn't say if you were also charged with driving after suspension at the time you got your latest speeding ticket. If so, your problems will be compounded.

You could reinstate before the court date. If you're found guilty, the DMV is very likely to promptly suspend your license again. Apparently, you didn't learn your lesson when you were suspended the first time.

blkbimmer85

the last time i got stopped, i got arrested for driving under suspension. the officer did not write me a ticket for speeding though. i know two people who were in similar situations. they both got lawyers. all the court tried to give them were $250 fines, which the lawyers got dropped. they were not even going to try to take there license. i figure if i go in there myself and be very apologetic and tell the judge that since my arrest, i have not driven (my mom has my car) i may get off with just a fine or a mandatory driving class of some sort. your thoughts?

Curt581

blkbimmer85 said:
your thoughts?
Actually, I have several.

Since you're answering your own questions, why are you asking US?

You're probably sadly mistaken.

You're going to get more tickets in the future.

You're going to get suspended... again.

You're going to continue to drive anyway.

You're probably going to end up in Jail.

And most importantly... I'm thinking pizza for dinner.

Next question?

S

seniorjudge

Curt581 said:
Actually, I have several.

Since you're answering your own questions, why are you asking US?

You're probably sadly mistaken.

You're going to get more tickets in the future.

You're going to get suspended... again.

You're going to continue to drive anyway.

You're probably going to end up in Jail.

And most importantly... I'm thinking pizza for dinner.

Next question?

Please do NOT get all those anchovies on there this time!

I told you, it's double SAUSAGE!

Curt581

seniorjudge said:
Please do NOT get all those anchovies on there this time!

I told you, it's double SAUSAGE!
Homer Simpson mode ON

Mmmmmm..... saauussaagge.... aughhhhh...

Homer Simpson mode OFF

U

ursoBUSTED

Unfortunately, blkbimmer85, some members choose to riducle people rather than help. I assure you, that will change. In the meantime, given the timeframe and your driving record, consult an attorney immediately (meaning Tuesday) if retaining your driving privlige is a high priority.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">