• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

property disclosure statement-fraud?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

moisme

What is the name of your state? Florida, Charlotte County

We closed on our house 9-20-04. Everything seemed fine and dandy.

I got a letter..."Certified Mail" ....and it is from the county utility office. "Final Notice Of Mandatory Compliance" stating that "Since you have failed to comply.... You have 20 days to comply or a lien will be placed on the property..."

Apparently, a year ago they notified the owner of the property that the county was hooking up to public sewer. (It used to be a septic system) And giving them 1 year to pay the $4,000 required, and to hire an electrician to install the panel needed to work with the public system.

So, I call the county and tell them I just bought the house in Sept., and did not own it a year ago, and did not know about this, I need more time to comply. They say..."Your real estate agent should have known. It should have been in the property disclosure statement. You have 20 days."

So, I look again at the property disclosure statement, thinking I must be a fool to have missed a $4,000 bill due, and oh my...it is not in there. In fact, where they ask about it, the owner says "no, we have no knowledge of anything of this sort."

So, I go back to the county. Thank goodness I came across a really nice girl with a kind heart. She looks it up in their system. She prints out the original notice of mandatory compliance sent to the owners on 5-18-04, and a page showing when it was recorded with the courthouse. She even printed out the owner's signature on the card! (It was sent certified mail, also.) She says..."Go talk to the agents."

I talk to the agents. They say "We have no way of knowing when people choose to lie to us. BUT, if they received the notice, and it was filed with the court, it should have come up on the title search...when you got title insurance, they should have found it. Go talk to the attorney who handled the closing and issued the title insurance."

So, I go talk to the attorney. He shows me where it came up in the title search, but says that since it wasn't an actual lien at the time of closing, the insurance won't pay. He says, "You may have to take the sellers to court."

Now, the office who handles all our real estate stuff back in my old town, in Manatee County, says this is bad business. "If it came up in the title search and they didn't tell you/exempt it...it is the title company's fault. He won't claim it to the insurance fund, it will expose his error, he will go after the seller first to keep from looking bad to the insurance fund."

So...bottom line is...
The sellers lied. The real estate agents didn't catch it, the attorney who handled the closing and issued the title insurance saw it, but didn't tell us, and the county never thought of sending out any kind of 'reminder notice', or 'since you newly acquired the property we thought we'd tell you', or ANYTHING until there is 20 days left to comply.

Add in the fact that it will be difficult, to say the least, to find a contractor to do the work and get the final inspection (county required) by my 20 day deadline.... And so avoid fines monthly (for who knows how long...) AND a lien on my property....

Who is ultimately responsible for paying these fees? The sellers? The title insurance fund?
We've got a running total of $4,000.00 for connection...and an estimate of $350.00 for the electrician, and ??? months of $22.00/month for fines.

I am not an investor....or a real estate mogul of any sort. We bought this house, and have apparently lost $4,5000 in equity right off the bat...it seems from no fault of our own...

No one is accepting responsibility, please help!!

Thank you so much! ...And I'm sorry this post is so long!!
~A

Last edited:

shortbus

Title insurance company is liable, unless it was explicitly exempted. The fact it was only a 'potential' lien at the time of sale is irrelevant. The point of title insurance is to protect you against defects in title that arise anytime after the sale is completed.

HomeGuru

moisme said:
What is the name of your state? Florida, Charlotte County

We closed on our house 9-20-04. Everything seemed fine and dandy.

I got a letter..."Certified Mail" ....and it is from the county utility office. "Final Notice Of Mandatory Compliance" stating that "Since you have failed to comply.... You have 20 days to comply or a lien will be placed on the property..."

Apparently, a year ago they notified the owner of the property that the county was hooking up to public sewer. (It used to be a septic system) And giving them 1 year to pay the $4,000 required, and to hire an electrician to install the panel needed to work with the public system.

So, I call the county and tell them I just bought the house in Sept., and did not own it a year ago, and did not know about this, I need more time to comply. They say..."Your real estate agent should have known. It should have been in the property disclosure statement. You have 20 days."

So, I look again at the property disclosure statement, thinking I must be a fool to have missed a $4,000 bill due, and oh my...it is not in there. In fact, where they ask about it, the owner says "no, we have no knowledge of anything of this sort."

So, I go back to the county. Thank goodness I came across a really nice girl with a kind heart. She looks it up in their system. She prints out the original notice of mandatory compliance sent to the owners on 5-18-04, and a page showing when it was recorded with the courthouse. She even printed out the owner's signature on the card! (It was sent certified mail, also.) She says..."Go talk to the agents."

I talk to the agents. They say "We have no way of knowing when people choose to lie to us. BUT, if they received the notice, and it was filed with the court, it should have come up on the title search...when you got title insurance, they should have found it. Go talk to the attorney who handled the closing and issued the title insurance."

So, I go talk to the attorney. He shows me where it came up in the title search, but says that since it wasn't an actual lien at the time of closing, the insurance won't pay. He says, "You may have to take the sellers to court."

Now, the office who handles all our real estate stuff back in my old town, in Manatee County, says this is bad business. "If it came up in the title search and they didn't tell you/exempt it...it is the title company's fault. He won't claim it to the insurance fund, it will expose his error, he will go after the seller first to keep from looking bad to the insurance fund."

So...bottom line is...
The sellers lied. The real estate agents didn't catch it, the attorney who handled the closing and issued the title insurance saw it, but didn't tell us, and the county never thought of sending out any kind of 'reminder notice', or 'since you newly acquired the property we thought we'd tell you', or ANYTHING until there is 20 days left to comply.

Add in the fact that it will be difficult, to say the least, to find a contractor to do the work and get the final inspection (county required) by my 20 day deadline.... And so avoid fines monthly (for who knows how long...) AND a lien on my property....

Who is ultimately responsible for paying these fees? The sellers? The title insurance fund?
We've got a running total of $4,000.00 for connection...and an estimate of $350.00 for the electrician, and ??? months of $22.00/month for fines.

I am not an investor....or a real estate mogul of any sort. We bought this house, and have apparently lost $4,5000 in equity right off the bat...it seems from no fault of our own...

No one is accepting responsibility, please help!!

Thank you so much! ...And I'm sorry this post is so long!!
~A

**A: the liable parties are the sellers, the title company and both real estate agents.

moisme

Thank You Very Much, shortbus & HomeGuru. I just hope we can get this taken care of in a reasonable amount of time...apparently, if the attorney chooses to get it from the sellers (instead of the title insurance fund) it could take awhile.

Thanks again, I appreciate your input.

:)
~A

moisme

I wish I could, HomeGuru, but the attorney IS the title company. He handled the closing and his title company issued the title insurance. That's why he's saying the insurance fund "won't pay on this", and that he'll try to get the sellers to pay it. He doesn't want to expose his error to the fund/ make himself look bad. I really don't care WHO pays it, as long as it's not me!! I've put alot of money and sweat equity into this house...just to lose $4500 after only 8 months?? :(
Thanks again for your input, it does make me feel better to know I've got a leg to stand on, the attorney looks at me, talks to me, like 'What do you want me to do?' He went so far to say "Everyone in Charlotte County is having to do this", as though I'm trying to get around it... He's just not a very conscientious business man.
~A

HomeGuru

moisme said:
I wish I could, HomeGuru, but the attorney IS the title company. He handled the closing and his title company issued the title insurance. That's why he's saying the insurance fund "won't pay on this", and that he'll try to get the sellers to pay it. He doesn't want to expose his error to the fund/ make himself look bad. I really don't care WHO pays it, as long as it's not me!! I've put alot of money and sweat equity into this house...just to lose $4500 after only 8 months?? :(
Thanks again for your input, it does make me feel better to know I've got a leg to stand on, the attorney looks at me, talks to me, like 'What do you want me to do?' He went so far to say "Everyone in Charlotte County is having to do this", as though I'm trying to get around it... He's just not a very conscientious business man.
~A

**A: In that case, hire YOUR OWN attorney.

moisme

You're right, HomeGuru, somehow I thought the original attorney would see that he messed up and make it right.

He (the original attorney) did actually call me yesterday and ask for total amounts paid to the electrician. He is drafting a letter to the sellers, and threatening action if they don't pay (within a reasonable amount of time- 2 weeks). Again, I don't care who pays... but he seems so negligent in his actions regarding this closing that I wonder if he shouldn't be reported...

Thank you again, I genuinely appreciate your help!!

~A

moisme

Update

It's been more than two weeks, but the original attorney finally admitted that he couldn't get the sellers to respond (duh) and that he would have to go to the insurance fund for my money. I told him I was tired of waiting, and that the interest on the county issued sewer loan was adding up. He wrote us a check, from his title company (the one who issued our title insurance) the next day. We took it directly to the county and paid off the loan in full. I even made him pay the $14.42 they charged me for lien postage and lien filing. Muwahahahaha!!!

I just wanted to let you know that he pretty much admitted he was wrong, by writing the check to us (and not waiting for the fund to pay... I doubt he'll even file the claim!). About $4500 ya'll gave me the courage to demand from him...if we'd paid the loan off, over 8 years, it would have been much more!!!

Thanks so much!!
:cool:
~A

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">