• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My rights vs. roommate's rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

Trevoli

I have lived in my apartment for 6.5 years and have had several roommates throughout the years. I have a month-to-month rental agreement. My current roommate, M, and I have separate rental agreements as co-tenants in our unit.

I would like M to move out. In the 1.5 years she has been there, she failed to pay the rent once while she was travelling on business and I had to pay her rent to keep her from being evicted. Because our power usage is so low, we take turns paying the bill. Twice she has failed to pay the bill when it was her turn. She does not stick to the mutually-agreed upon cleaning schedule. The straw that broke the camel's back, however, was that she left candles burning in the living room all night while she was asleep in her bedroom. She has moved from being irresponsible and downright dangerous.

Do I have any legal right to ask her to move (with generous notice, of course)?

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Trevoli:
I have lived in my apartment for 6.5 years and have had several roommates throughout the years. I have a month-to-month rental agreement. My current roommate, M, and I have separate rental agreements as co-tenants in our unit.

I would like M to move out. In the 1.5 years she has been there, she failed to pay the rent once while she was travelling on business and I had to pay her rent to keep her from being evicted. Because our power usage is so low, we take turns paying the bill. Twice she has failed to pay the bill when it was her turn. She does not stick to the mutually-agreed upon cleaning schedule. The straw that broke the camel's back, however, was that she left candles burning in the living room all night while she was asleep in her bedroom. She has moved from being irresponsible and downright dangerous.

Do I have any legal right to ask her to move (with generous notice, of course)?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, only L has the right to evict since the lease agrement is between L and the co-tenant. Talk to L about the situation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">