• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Out of state and got red-light ticket in Ohio -- what do I do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

blueman89

Hi -- I'm all rather mixed up, this is my first accident let alone a ticket.

I was involved in a fender-bender in Ohio but I am from way, way, out of state. We both feel we were in the right but there was a local witness that said it was my fault. The cop said he couldn't tell -- it was low speed and no injury --but he was obligated to give me a ticket for running the red light as there was a witness who feels I did so and Ohio law says whoever is deemed at fault gets a ticket. He gave me one for failure to stop at a red light.

The ticket gives me the option of pleading guilty by mail or attending in person for any other plea. The court date is a week from now!

What do I do? It sounds like I am sunk but I'm not sure I can afford the time and cost to come back yet the results could be worse.

What do I do? Like I said, I'm not from Ohio, not even close.

lwpat

What is your home state?

How important is it that you get this ticket dismissed?

You have the option of retaining an attorney to appear at the arraignment and try to get the ticket dismissed. If not and you want to fight it then you will have to come back for trial. If the witness/other driver does not show for court then it will likely be dismissed.

blueman89

lwpat -- I'm from New York, I'm not sure how important it is to get it dismissed, that's part of my problem. I have no prior accidents or convictions but our car insurance is astronomical as it is, so I am concerned about that.

Also, I have no clue what I am facing in terms of a "penalty" should I just bite the bullet. I did try looking online for the section of the code 313.03(c) that dealt with the offence but it just sent me round and round in circles and I couldn't find a listing online for the county of Richland.

When I looked online, it seems that NYS doesn't count points from other states (this suprises me, but the dmv says so) but, as above, I am concerned that not only making a claim on my insurance and getting a ticket could hammer me. What might happen...is it just a fine, community service, I have no clue?

As for an attorney, I was wondering about calling some next week but with Monday being a holiday that really leaves us so little time especially as I had planned on being on the road until Thursday. Argh! Is it a question of searching and praying?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">