• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

deposits

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

reggiet

I recently paid a security deposit for an apartment here in Texas, well my credit was not up to par so I agreed to pay a double deposit without hassle. I have since decided that I can not move into the apartment and the apartment complex is refusing to return my deposits. Can they do this?

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by reggiet:
I recently paid a security deposit for an apartment here in Texas, well my credit was not up to par so I agreed to pay a double deposit without hassle. I have since decided that I can not move into the apartment and the apartment complex is refusing to return my deposits. Can they do this?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did you sign a lease? There may be a provision in the L/T law that states the maximum security deposit that can be collected is one month. So the collection of double the deposit amount may be illegal, but I am not positive.

R

reggiet

IQUOTE]Originally posted by reggiet:
I recently paid a security deposit for an apartment here in Texas, well my credit was not up to par so I agreed to pay a double deposit without hassle. I have since decided that I can not move into the apartment and the apartment complex is refusing to return my deposits. Can they do this?[/QUOTE]
I'm sure if it was a lease I signed, I wasn't allowed to receive a key or move until payment for the remainder of the month was collected. If it was a lease i signed which I don't think it was do they have the right to withhold all of my deposit or a portion or any since I never actually moved in?

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by reggiet:
IQUOTE]Originally posted by reggiet:
I recently paid a security deposit for an apartment here in Texas, well my credit was not up to par so I agreed to pay a double deposit without hassle. I have since decided that I can not move into the apartment and the apartment complex is refusing to return my deposits. Can they do this?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'm sure if it was a lease I signed, I wasn't allowed to receive a key or move until payment for the remainder of the month was collected. If it was a lease i signed which I don't think it was do they have the right to withhold all of my deposit or a portion or any since I never actually moved in?

[/QUOTE]

Since you are not sure if it was a lease that you signed, I am not sure if my response to your post was correct. If my response was correct, which I am sure it was, then that was your freeadvice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">