• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Builders want to change style of house

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

middlegirl

I purchased my home "new" in December 98. My home has a side garage. I share a private driveway with 3 other home owners. We just found out from the county, (Howard County, Maryland), that the builder built my home incorrectly. As a result of this the builder must now come back and put my garage on the front. I paid for a side garage. Also, I am suppose to have a 2 full size car garage which I don't have. The county has stated to the builder that before it will issue any new building permitts, it must first make my community right and the home owner happy. My legal recourse do I have againt the builder. It is my understanding that the builder knew from the start that my house was wrong!

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by middlegirl:
I purchased my home "new" in December 98. My home has a side garage. I share a private driveway with 3 other home owners. We just found out from the county, (Howard County, Maryland), that the builder built my home incorrectly. As a result of this the builder must now come back and put my garage on the front. I paid for a side garage. Also, I am suppose to have a 2 full size car garage which I don't have. The county has stated to the builder that before it will issue any new building permitts, it must first make my community right and the home owner happy. My legal recourse do I have againt the builder. It is my understanding that the builder knew from the start that my house was wrong!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Howard County building requirements prevail over yours You bought a home that was not legal. You have recourse to go after the builder but given the situation, the builder will not be able to comply and give you a side garage. Maybe you can have the builder build a bigger garage that will fit 2 cars. Work this out between your builder and the County.

M

middlegirl

Thank you for your response. What happens if the builder is unable to build a bigger garage. The orininal side garage was sold as an option. Maybe I should sue the builder selling me an illegal home.

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by middlegirl:
Thank you for your response. What happens if the builder is unable to build a bigger garage. The orininal side garage was sold as an option. Maybe I should sue the builder selling me an illegal home.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Then have your builder buy you 2 new compact cars that can fit into the garage. You can sue the builder for selling the illegal home but the case will be dropped since the builder is being forced by the county to remedy the problem.

M

middlegirl

That's funny, I needed to smile. The builder is saying that it's my decision to change my house. The real problem is that I am not suppose to have access to the private road, which is two small. At first the builder wanted to take about 5 feet from my neighbor across the street. She said no. I think what the county said was, you need to fix it, and fix it now. Because my neighbor said no, they want me to say yes.

HomeGuru

That's funny, I needed to smile. The builder is saying that it's my decision to change my house. The real problem is that I am not suppose to have access to the private road, which is two small. At first the builder wanted to take about 5 feet from my neighbor across the street. She said no. I think what the county said was, you need to fix it, and fix it now. Because my neighbor said no, they want me to say yes.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't say yes just yet. You are in a good position to negotiate since the County got the hammer on the builder at this point in time. Ask the builder and the County for options. Or get an attorney involved to represent you. Maybe the builder can throw in a brand new Suburban or Range Rover. Can you park an SUV in the driveway or on the street? Maybe have the builder build an extension to the house, a den, another bedromm or bath.

M

middlegirl

I want to weigh my options. Yes I can park a SUV in front of my house. I would rather for them to extend my bathroom. What type of lawyer do I need to obtain for legal advise. I have no ideal where to start. The builder has to meet with the county on November 1. My feeling is that he wants to be able to say everthing is okay and that I have accepted the changes.(NOT)

HomeGuru

I want to weigh my options. Yes I can park a SUV in front of my house. I would rather for them to extend my bathroom. What type of lawyer do I need to obtain for legal advise. I have no ideal where to start. The builder has to meet with the county on November 1. My feeling is that he wants to be able to say everthing is okay and that I have accepted the changes.(NOT) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A real estate or construction attorney would be helpful

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">