• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tenant leaves without payng rent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

a_l_a_n

This is in CA.

I had a tenant (roommate) who moved in and his check bounced. He kept his stuff in the room and then left town.

I emailed him for an explanation, which he didn't reply to, so I emailed him a 3 day notice to make good the rent or quit.

He did not do either but responded saying he had personal issues and that he will move out during the weekend, but did not. He also asked me to contact him at his cellphone. He did actually get back into town and was staying with friends and was visiting the apartment when I was at work. He refused to answer the cellphone when I called, hung up if he answered, or just did not return calls.

Then he moved out (deserted) without paying the rent (about 3 weeks) and I obviously don't have any information about where he moved, though I am pretty certain he is in the same city.

I do have his cell phone no., email address (hotmail, so thats not very helpful) and social security no.

1) Can I still file an unlawful detainter suit on him and get a formal eviction ? How do I have him served
2) If not, and I have to go to small claims to claim the rent, how can I have him served without papers ?
3) Is there any other action can I take ?

Any help apprecieted. Thanks

A

a_l_a_n

No 2) above - i mean how do I have him served without an address

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by a_l_a_n:
No 2) above - i mean how do I have him served without an address<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You don't need to file an unlawful detainer because he moved out already. My advice is to forget it until you can serve him.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">