• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

specific performance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

phoebe pollitt

Hi. I live in NC. I listed some rental property (2 houses on almost an acre) with a licenced real estate agent. She brought me a signed Offer to Purchase about a month ago. the prospective buyer had contingencies for financing and a satisfactory inspection. Both were easily met. We are supposed to close this Wed., Nov 1. This weekend the buyer got "cold feet" and wants to back out of the deal. I have heard of suing for "specific performance" and I wondered if it was worth me going to a local lawyer to try to make the buyer complete the deal. Thanks Phoebe

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by phoebe pollitt:
Hi. I live in NC. I listed some rental property (2 houses on almost an acre) with a licenced real estate agent. She brought me a signed Offer to Purchase about a month ago. the prospective buyer had contingencies for financing and a satisfactory inspection. Both were easily met. We are supposed to close this Wed., Nov 1. This weekend the buyer got "cold feet" and wants to back out of the deal. I have heard of suing for "specific performance" and I wondered if it was worth me going to a local lawyer to try to make the buyer complete the deal. Thanks Phoebe<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How much did the Buyer put down as earnest money and what was the agreed upon sales price?

P

phoebe pollitt

The earnest money is $500.00 and the agreed on price is $125.000 Thanks for your interest and reply.

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by phoebe pollitt:
The earnest money is $500.00 and the agreed on price is $125.000 Thanks for your interest and reply.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It does not seem worth it to litigate.

P

phoebe pollitt

But would I have a "case" to litigate on specific performance or some other legal doctrine, if I chose to do so? Thanks Phoebe Pollitt

lawbabe

Yes, in theory you do have a case. "Having a case" and having a case worth the effort of fighting are two different matters, of course, but you do have a case, the classic case, in fact for which the legal remedy is specific performance. Good luck.

Indiana Filer

Yes, in theory you do have a case. "Having a case" and having a case worth the effort of fighting are two different matters, of course, but you do have a case, the classic case, in fact for which the legal remedy is specific performance. Good luck.
lawbabe, since the original post was 7 years ago, I'm sure the statute of limitations has run out by now. You might want to look that term up in your textbooks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">