• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Clocked from private property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jg123

What is the name of your state?North Carolina,I was recently clocked by radar
from a city policeman who was parked in a private appartment complex. I was
curious, is this legal and if so are there any places were trafic police can not be when clocking the public? Thanks for any information.

Last edited:

Curt581

jg123 said:
I was curious, is this legal?
Yes.
and if so are there any places were trafic police can not be when clocking the public?
Yes. They cannot be:

1. Underwater.

2. In another state or country.

3. Inside any donut shop or convenience store. (They can be in the parking lot.)

They MUST:

1. Be parked on the side of the road in clear view of oncoming traffic for a minimum distance of one mile.

2. Have their light bar on, with the lights flashing.

3. Be parked under a large neon sign saying, "COP", with an arrow pointing at their squad car.

4. Mail you a letter three weeks in advance telling you where and when they will be running radar.

5. Believe you when you say that you didn't realize you were going that fast, and let you go with apologies. (No matter what your speed was.)

6. Let you go with a "warning" if you prefer not to be ticketed.

:rolleyes:

fedcop110

jg123 said:
is this legal
Yes, at least in VA it is legal for the officer to be sitting in a private parking lot, as I would assume is the same in any other state.

In VA, however, the offense has to occur on a public highway. So you can not be charged with speeding if you were driving in the private parking lot. Hope this helps.

marbol

Curt581 said:
I suppose if the OP owned that apartment complex, and did not give them permission to be on the property, and posted a notice that police are not allowed to use the property to detect speed or otherwise loiter then it would not be legal.

Don't laugh. This was the actual case with my ex-landlord in Corpus Christi, Texas once. Minus the sign.

He won! :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">