• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Renewing Lease

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

JAH

I read with interest your advice to Kevin. I have been living in a townhouse rental (large apartment community) in CA since May 99. I originally signed a 12 month lease for $955 ($925 rent, $30 carport rent) which reverted to a month to month lease in May 00. In May 00, my rent was increased $50. OK by me, I expected a standard yearly increase. In Sep 00 I was informed that because most rentals in the area were charging monthly "pet" fees that my rent would be increased another $30.
(Even though I had already paid a pet deposit of $300 when I moved in). I love my cats, so I re-budgeted and paid it on Oct 1st. Yesterday I received another rent increase (due Dec 00) of $60!!!!!!! That is $140 in seven months. I have been reading up on CA civic code 827 which allows greedy landlords to basically raise rents whenever they fancy IF you are on a month by month lease. I wish to renew my yearly lease so that they cannot mess with me like that. My annual raise (fixed, military) was only about $75 this year so my budget is suffering. In addition, I have noticed a huge structural crack (I have not notified the landlords) running down the length of my two-story townhouse. Is there anyway I can get my lease renewed on a set rental rate?

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JAH:
I read with interest your advice to Kevin. I have been living in a townhouse rental (large apartment community) in CA since May 99. I originally signed a 12 month lease for $955 ($925 rent, $30 carport rent) which reverted to a month to month lease in May 00. In May 00, my rent was increased $50. OK by me, I expected a standard yearly increase. In Sep 00 I was informed that because most rentals in the area were charging monthly "pet" fees that my rent would be increased another $30.
(Even though I had already paid a pet deposit of $300 when I moved in). I love my cats, so I re-budgeted and paid it on Oct 1st. Yesterday I received another rent increase (due Dec 00) of $60!!!!!!! That is $140 in seven months. I have been reading up on CA civic code 827 which allows greedy landlords to basically raise rents whenever they fancy IF you are on a month by month lease. I wish to renew my yearly lease so that they cannot mess with me like that. My annual raise (fixed, military) was only about $75 this year so my budget is suffering. In addition, I have noticed a huge structural crack (I have not notified the landlords) running down the length of my two-story townhouse. Is there anyway I can get my lease renewed on a set rental rate?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Talk to the property management company and ask them for a one year lease.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">