• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

life estate with only 2 siblings listed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dasiymay

before my mom died she had 2 of 8 siblings put on her life estate of 80 acres. Her lawyer advised her to only use 2 of us. She had wanted all 8 names on it. Now 1 of the legal owner is being greedy and wants to buy the property for only what the tax asseted value is. The rest of us don't think it is a fair price. He will not divide up the property so each gets 10 acres. He says he will not sign off if anyone else buys it. I am wondering if the other 6 of us have any heirship to this property ?? We live in Minnesota. Can he be court ordered to sign off his half should someone else offer more money? Also can the other half owner quick claim deed over her portion to the rest of us? Thanks

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dasiymay:
before my mom died she had 2 of 8 siblings put on her life estate of 80 acres. Her lawyer advised her to only use 2 of us. She had wanted all 8 names on it. Now 1 of the legal owner is being greedy and wants to buy the property for only what the tax asseted value is. The rest of us don't think it is a fair price. He will not divide up the property so each gets 10 acres. He says he will not sign off if anyone else buys it. I am wondering if the other 6 of us have any heirship to this property ?? We live in Minnesota. Can he be court ordered to sign off his half should someone else offer more money? Also can the other half owner quick claim deed over her portion to the rest of us? Thanks<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The answer could be yes to your first question depending upon the circumstances. The answer to your other 2 questions are yes.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">