• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HOA penalising us because of previous owner

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quokka

What is the name of your state? MD

Our HOA is refusing to issue us pool passes (this is a big deal to my children) because they say our house is painted an unauthorised color. We only bought the house a few months ago and can't afford to paint it this summer - however my children do want to use the pool this summer.

Can a HOA penalise us for something the previous owner did? This is obviously something about which the HOA has known about for some time. Yet we only found out about this when we applied for pool passes. We hadn't been notified of it before. The previous owner didn't disclose this info either.

HomeGuru

quokka said:
What is the name of your state? MD

Our HOA is refusing to issue us pool passes (this is a big deal to my children) because they say our house is painted an unauthorised color. We only bought the house a few months ago and can't afford to paint it this summer - however my children do want to use the pool this summer.

Can a HOA penalise us for something the previous owner did?

**A: yes.....read your CC&R's.
This is obviously something about which the HOA has known about for some time. Yet we only found out about this when we applied for pool passes. We hadn't been notified of it before. The previous owner didn't disclose this info either.

**A: and why didn't you check with the HOA before closing? Didn't your Realtor advise you?

quokka

Before settlement we got an info pack from the HOA which included a letter stating "the following is a list of maintenance violations which are existing on this home" and it is stated "NONE". The letter says it is required under the Maryland Homeowners Association Act. I take it is the HOA disclosure form in MD. So I didn't feel the need to contact the HOA regarding violations as it seemed quite clear.

We've lived here for 7 months now and I've had contact with the HOA regarding other issues with our house which involved them reading to me over the phone from our file and they've never mentioned a paint violation nor notified us about it. I don't have a bad relationship with the HOA or the neighbours so I'm at a loss how a violation can appear like this.

HomeGuru

quokka said:
Before settlement we got an info pack from the HOA which included a letter stating "the following is a list of maintenance violations which are existing on this home" and it is stated "NONE". The letter says it is required under the Maryland Homeowners Association Act. I take it is the HOA disclosure form in MD. So I didn't feel the need to contact the HOA regarding violations as it seemed quite clear.

We've lived here for 7 months now and I've had contact with the HOA regarding other issues with our house which involved them reading to me over the phone from our file and they've never mentioned a paint violation nor notified us about it. I don't have a bad relationship with the HOA or the neighbours so I'm at a loss how a violation can appear like this.

**A: easy, someone at the HOA messed up. Now be friends with your neighbors so they can take your kids to the pool.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">