• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

speeding 68 in a 35---North Carolina

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dmullis32

Help me, im 17 and i got a ticket for doing 68 in a 35 in north carolina....what type of options do i have, is there a chance i could get it lowered by the DA to aviod insurence points? Ill take any ideas that there is.....

Curt581

dmullis32 said:
Help me, im 17 and i got a ticket for doing 68 in a 35 in north carolina....what type of options do i have,
You can plead "Not Guilty", "Guilty", or "No Contest".
Take your pick.
is there a chance i could get it lowered by the DA to aviod insurence points?
Sure, there's always a chance. It never hurts to ask.

lwpat

First of all you need to tell your parents. They are going to find out anyway and you cannot appear in court by yourself.

You will soon be receiving a lot of letters from attorneys offering to represent you. Pick one or try the find an attorney link on this site. It will be cheaper in the long run. You will be very lucky to come away without a suspension.

Crazed98

lwpat said:
First of all you need to tell your parents. They are going to find out anyway and you cannot appear in court by yourself.

You will soon be receiving a lot of letters from attorneys offering to represent you. Pick one or try the find an attorney link on this site. It will be cheaper in the long run. You will be very lucky to come away without a suspension.

She doesn't have to tell her parents if she has her own insurance.

If she is insured under her parents they will only find out if she gets points.

dmullis32

im not a girl....and i already told them, they are preatty pissed, because about half of my summer will get spent at home. but has anyone ever heard of the DA lowering it to as much at 9 over without having to see the judge?

lwpat

She doesn't have to tell her parents if she has her own insurance.
I suggest that you need to know what you are doing before you try to correct someone else. She is seventeen and a minor with a mandatory court appearance. Either one of her parents or an attorney will have to be in court. I don't know of an attorney who would agree to represent a minor without their parents knowledge but it might happen.

How many seventeen year olds do you know that have their own insurance?

Crazed98

lwpat said:
I suggest that you need to know what you are doing before you try to correct someone else. She is seventeen and a minor with a mandatory court appearance. Either one of her parents or an attorney will have to be in court. I don't know of an attorney who would agree to represent a minor without their parents knowledge but it might happen.

How many seventeen year olds do you know that have their own insurance?
I know plenty of 17 yr olds that had their own insurance.

When I was 17 I had my own car and my own insurance.
I recieved 2 tickets both mandatory court apperances.
I didn't tell my parents.
I went to court talked to the DA and had one ticket dismissed.

Just because your a minor does not mean you can't go to court by yourself. You just have to be responsible and know what you are doing.

dmullis32 said:
but has anyone ever heard of the DA lowering it to as much at 9 over without having to see the judge?
It's unlikely a lawyer can get it reduced to a 9 over but they would have the best chance.

You are risking a 2-3X increase in your insurance, a supension and a misdemeanor conviction that could risk you future educational and work opportunities. You really need a lawyer to at least get it reduced to less than 55.

http://www.ncsu.edu/stud_affairs/legal_services/legaldocs/Trafficpoints.htm

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">