• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

AUO - 2nd Degree - Jailtime?!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tommyvercetti

What is the name of your state? NY

Hello.. I live in upstate NY and have some outstanding tickets from 2 years ago. I never appeared to court for an AUO2 because I told myself I just wouldnt get in trouble anymore. Well the day after my scheduled court date they issued a bench warrant. 2 years later I get a phone call urging me to turn myself in at the station I was last arrested at.

So I did... got off with a court appearance... I went to court... filled out the public defender application.. got interview and got a public defender. Went to court with the public defender and he says I must clear up all my previous suspensions in order to get below the minimum penalty which is a minimum fine of $500, a mandatory surcharge, and mandatory imprisonment up to 180 days or probation.

What I dont understand is how I can get below the minimum punishment?
The public defender wasn't very specific on how low he can get the punishment.

Today I have called all of the courts that I have suspensions with (3 FLD ANSWER SUMMONS, 2 FAILURE TO PAY FINE in 3 different countys) and have gotten scheduled for trials... but one of them is after my next appearance for the AUO2 trial. Is this not good? Will/Can they adjourn it a bit longer so I can have some more time to clear this up?

I am a bit stressed out having to deal with 4 trials at once (after 2 years of peace)... so any advice is helpful. Like any normal person... I dont want to go to jail.

Thanks

[no im not really tommy vercetti]

Last edited:

tommyvercetti

well.. after a few appearances finally it was reduced to AUO 3rd degree... which resulted in a $300 fine. Not bad I think, could have obviously been much worse.

Cheers.

Daniel M.

tommyvercetti said:
well.. after a few appearances finally it was reduced to AUO 3rd degree... which resulted in a $300 fine. Not bad I think, could have obviously been much worse.

Cheers.
Hey, good stuff!

Now do not let stuff go unattended in the future, it only snowballs. But it sounds like you have probaly learned your lesson.

Thanks for the update. ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">