• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

rental age in alabama

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bama1122

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Alabama
I am trying to find an apartment for my son who is 18 and in college, I understand that I must sign the lease with him, but some places tell me that in Alabama someone age 19 must live in the apartment, is this true?

FarmerJ

Many LLs refuse to rent to very young tenants due to past experiances with them , Many younger tenants do not treat rentals well , they damage the places , add roomates who arent on a lease , They party , ETC and many younger tenants just dont have the incomes to go after in court should the LL have to take them to court to collect damages . Its simple enough think about it , YEAH it makes it harder for a young tenant to start out in a first place . But you know, you could go with your son and co sign his lease If the LL will accept you as a co signer . Then this way you are bound to the lease and the LL can come after you for money should your son violate the lease and the LL need to end up taking court action to collect . Infact many LLs want 36 to 60 months of past rental historys to verify during the application process so they can indeed weed out possible problem tenants and those historys are what younger tenants cannot produce so with out acceptable co signers housing options are reduced . If you cannot find a place then keep on looking even if the places look like dumps ,If your son manages to be a good tenant on his own and creates a good rental history he can allways move up into nicer places later with good rental history in his back pocket .

HomeGuru

bama1122 said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Alabama
I am trying to find an apartment for my son who is 18 and in college, I understand that I must sign the lease with him, but some places tell me that in Alabama someone age 19 must live in the apartment, is this true?
**A: no, it is not true. It is against the law to rent to only 19 year olds.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">