• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Easement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MooMoo

Hi from Wisconsin
Have lakefront property with deeded easement (appurtenant), which was legally deeded to my husband & I from my parents. It has a described legal easement crossing a neighbors property by about 100 feet. It is a longer driveway which also serves 2 other cottages. The problem arose about 3 years ago when the neighbor decided to "revoke" the easement and constructed a gate which included a lock. Through attorneys my father was able to straighten out the matter and the neighbor was told he couldn't do the gate thing. He has since nailed the gate shut with us inside, and has posted signs "revoking" our right to pass and threatening us with jail time if we do cross. I have reported the situation to the County Sheriff and they really can't get too involved as it is a civil matter. He is now threatening to have load of fill dumped in the middle of the drive way. I must add he is a "loose cannon" and changes his mind daily. We have tried to work with him, but to no avail, as he is a burned out druggie that is probably running a meth lab in his mobile home(retail value of mobile home @1,000) He has not been using his retreat for any length of time lately and flies in for 1/2 hour and leaves again. i hate to push him to far and find my cottage up in smoke as I am not sure what this man is capable of doing. He told the authorities he is storing his deceased wife furniture in there and has had $6000.00 in thefts and vandalism ( his place isn't worth that much, and to my knowledge he never married). regardless, the gun deer season is approaching and my relatives will be using the cottage with my permission and I am fearful for everyones safety. I need to clean this up swiftly Any advice?

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MooMoo:
Hi from Wisconsin
Have lakefront property with deeded easement (appurtenant), which was legally deeded to my husband & I from my parents. It has a described legal easement crossing a neighbors property by about 100 feet. It is a longer driveway which also serves 2 other cottages. The problem arose about 3 years ago when the neighbor decided to "revoke" the easement and constructed a gate which included a lock. Through attorneys my father was able to straighten out the matter and the neighbor was told he couldn't do the gate thing. He has since nailed the gate shut with us inside, and has posted signs "revoking" our right to pass and threatening us with jail time if we do cross. I have reported the situation to the County Sheriff and they really can't get too involved as it is a civil matter. He is now threatening to have load of fill dumped in the middle of the drive way. I must add he is a "loose cannon" and changes his mind daily. We have tried to work with him, but to no avail, as he is a burned out druggie that is probably running a meth lab in his mobile home(retail value of mobile home @1,000) He has not been using his retreat for any length of time lately and flies in for 1/2 hour and leaves again. i hate to push him to far and find my cottage up in smoke as I am not sure what this man is capable of doing. He told the authorities he is storing his deceased wife furniture in there and has had $6000.00 in thefts and vandalism ( his place isn't worth that much, and to my knowledge he never married). regardless, the gun deer season is approaching and my relatives will be using the cottage with my permission and I am fearful for everyones safety. I need to clean this up swiftly Any advice?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You need to hire an attorney to file a restraining order against him. Once this is done, the police must enforce it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">