• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Daughter Ilegally Evicted (I Think)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

U

UncleSully

My Step-daughter lived with her dad, at her gramdmother's house. grandma dies, dad's in the jail, and her uncle says we sold the house, you need to move. you got 1 hour. then he changes the locks.

does she have a case for improper or illegal eviction?

------------------
Unk

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by UncleSully:
My Step-daughter lived with her dad, at her gramdmother's house. grandma dies, dad's in the jail, and her uncle says we sold the house, you need to move. you got 1 hour. then he changes the locks.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Quite possibly.

HomeGuru

Originally posted by
UncleSully:

***HomeGuru repsonse: David J Miller. This ones for you since you are studying law.

My Step-daughter lived with her dad, at her gramdmother's house.
***HomeGuru response: establishes the primary figure being the stepdaughter living with her Dad, at her grandmothers house. Fact: the house is grannies.

grandma dies,
***HomeGuru response: who is the owner now? Is the property in Probate, was there a will or did Grandma own the property in joint tenancy with others bypassing probate. Fact: it has not been established who has legal control over the property.

dad's in the jail,
***HomeGuru response: Dad is of no help

and her uncle says we sold the house,
***HomeGuru response: it has not been established who "we" is and whether the rightful owner sold the house and if the house was in fact really sold.

you need to move. you got 1 hour. then he changes the locks.
***HomeGuru response: there has been no time frame or period discussed so there may be a question of the events stated as happening in the past or present. Did the tenant have permission to live at the house after Grandma died and Dad went to jail? Did she pay any rent or have a rental agreement? What if she has not paid rent or obtained approval to live there? What if she was ordered by the owner or probate court to vacate and she has refused, and therefore considered a trespasser? What if the uncle was not the real owner or manager?

***HomeGuru response: that is why my response was "quite possibly".
As you can see the writer did not provide enough facts to establish a foundation on which to make even a tentative yes or no response. This may be typical of numerous posts, so I have to take my best guess or request the writer provide more info. Sometimes I just take the info provided and state a response. which may be correct or incorrect but given the info provided, it is my best answer given the facts. It may be challenging work and I am happy to get some of your help. Sometimes I feel like a one man wrecking crew here, especially with Tracey gone to get some blue ice cream.

L

lawrat

Home Guru, you rock!

Fact patterns galore baby! Issue spotting like mad!

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lawrat:
Home Guru, you rock!

Fact patterns galore baby! Issue spotting like mad!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why thank you lawrat. You rock on the other Boards so I am just following your footsteps. We'll rock on honey child.
We will, we will, rock you.
We ain't the Rolling Stones but we can rock just the same.

Signed,
Jumpin Jack Flash

D

David J. Miller

Thanks HG for the law lesson. Nothing like real world or at least kinda real world experience. You certainly are a one-man wrecking crew. I don't have any idea how the heck you keep up with all of these posts and still make a living. It does sort of get in your blood a little though, doesn't it? (rhetorical)

For the record, I am not studying law yet. I'm still working on it. This is a good forum to learn some basics, take a shot at a few tricky ones and see how your answers compare to mine. It's like playing the stock market or the commodities market without actually investing money to learn the ropes. I can make lots of mistakes without losing money, reputation, law license etc...

Your humble student.

[This message has been edited by David J. Miller (edited October 31, 2000).]

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David J. Miller:
Thanks HG for the law lesson. Nothing like real world or at least kinda real world experience. You certainly are a one-man wrecking crew. I don't have any idea how the heck you keep up with all of these posts and still make a living. It does sort of get in your blood a little though, doesn't it? (rhetorical)

For the record, I am not studying law yet. I'm still working on it. This is a good forum to learn some basics, take a shot at a few tricky ones and see how your answers compare to mine. It's like playing the stock market or the commodities market without actually investing money to learn the ropes. I can make lots of mistakes without losing money, reputation, law license etc...

Your humble student.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dear student,

I am independently healthy so I can afford to spend some extra time here. Just don't smoke around the BB.

If you are reading these posts, you are indeed studying law.

Well got to leave for work now.

Read you on the next post.

HomeGuru

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David J. Miller:

Your humble student.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dear student,

I am independently healthy so I can afford to spend some extra time here. Just don't smoke around the BB.

If you are reading these posts, you are indeed studying law.

Well got to leave for work now.

Read you on the next post.

HomeGuru

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">