• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Odd Red Light Ticket Situation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mostEvErything

What is the name of your state? California

Apparently I was issued a red light ticket based on a photograph from the red light cameras.

Problem is, this ticket was issued about a year ago and I just found out. The DMV screwed up about 18 months ago and changed the registration address for my vehicle to a city about 30 minutes away, an address I do not recognize at all. I had this fixed about 8 months ago when I went into to their offices to renew my tags. Problem is the ticket and all information pertaining to it was sent to that incorrect address. I just received a notice from the court's collection agency about a $500+ fine they want. (I'm assuming since the DMV has corrected their records, they NOW have my correct address).

I specifically remember that red light, I was out of town (where the ticket was issued) and remember the flash and commenting with my passengers how I was 1/2 through the intersection when the light quickly turned red and camera flashed and figured nothing would come of it, since I clearly had crossed through a yellow. I want to fight the ticket, but the collection agency wont do anything for me and just want the money paid, they say the court date has passed, despite my explaining I never knew of the citation. I've tried calling the courts for over a week, but the city's that issued the ticket closed their courts and moved them to a city even further from me, whose lines are busy from open until close.

Is there anything I can do to fight this, to actually get the ticket and picture and a new court date? Is it too late now, even though it was the DMV's fault it was originally sent to the wrong address? Who do I contact?

Also, would this be considered a failure to appear, therefore causing my license to be suspended all this time?

:confused:

CdwJava

You really need to contact the court ASAP. Go in person if you have to.

Yes, it can be challenged - though it might be tough to get a court date. But, there may be an assumption that the address situation was your error and thus the penalties might stand. If you have anything that shows the correct street but wrong city on your registration, I would bring it with you when you go to court.

And depending on when and where the cite was issued, the cite may have been among a large number that were dismissed due to poor timing or other issues. A little over a year ago there were some wholesale cases brought to several courts in the San Diego and Los Angeles areas, as I recall, that caused the dismissal of loads of these cites.

You might also consider hiring an attorney to deal with the matter as it may require a good deal of your time to track down something an experienced traffic attorney might be able to resolve in a few phone calls.

Good luck.

- Carl

lwpat

Carl is correct, your best bet is a traffic ticket attorney located in the same city as the court. Those collection agencies are b******* and will put this on your credit report in an effort to ruin your credit. Also expect the court to ignore you since it has already been sent to collection.

Lots of areas had problems with timing and had to dismiss any disputed tickets. Of course they claim this was just a malfunction and not deliberate.
If you believe that I have a bridge for sale, cheap.

mostEvErything

It was not just the city that was wrong, the address was completely off, not even close, it was not even near where I live and I have the dated affidavit from the DMV they had me fill out stating the address is not mine, nor do I recognize it, showing all of their late fees for my registration waived since they admitted it was their fault for the error, not mine. I am hoping this will help me immensly.

I am currently a fulltime student, off for the summer, my husband works and not I, so I have plenty of time to deal with the courts, if I can reach someone, problem is this ticket was issued in Culver City, which has had all of their citations moved to Santa Monica with the closure of their court, and I am at least 45 minutes away on a good day with NO traffic, so I'd like to at least get the ball rolling over the phone...if I can ever get through. Is the suggestion for a lawyer due to time constraints, or would it be plausible for me to study all of the traffic laws pertaining to this (I've started today...phew!) and handle it myself?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">