• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

intentional impairment??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tomswife

We rented a building to open an auto repair shop, lease began on September 1, 2000. The landlord would not put a "competition clause" into the lease. He said he "owned 90 acres or so and could not make that type of commitment but don't worry, I won't put the same type of business on top of you". I have a witness to this statement. We just found out the same type of business is moving in next door, less that 10 feet from out building. How can we protect ourselves??

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tomswife:
We rented a building to open an auto repair shop, lease began on September 1, 2000. The landlord would not put a "competition clause" into the lease. He said he "owned 90 acres or so and could not make that type of commitment but don't worry, I won't put the same type of business on top of you". I have a witness to this statement. We just found out the same type of business is moving in next door, less that 10 feet from out building. How can we protect ourselves??<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The provisions in the written lease prevail. Beware of red flag verbal statements: trust me, don't worry, would I lie to you, you got my word, we'll work it out later, you'll get it soon, I'll just do an addendum........
Response to verbal statements: put in writing now.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">