• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Apartment dweller accidentally damaged neighbor's apt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lerouxt

Hi, I live in Ohio and I recently had a flood in my apartment that caused extensive damage to some of my neighbors' apartments and personal possessions. I went to sleep on the 14th of October (alone) and woke to find the stopper in the tub, the faucet on full blast, and my apartment flooded. My apartment and my possessions were not severely damaged, but my downstairs neighbors' apartment was trashed. I HONESTLY do not know how the stopper got in the tub nor do I know how the water got turned on. I can only surmise that I must have been sleepwalking. There was EXTENSIVE damage to seven different apartments. I estimate that the total damage could be as much as $50,000. I simply do not have that kind of money. I had just recently moved in and had not yet purchased renters' insurance. I have since purchased that insurance, but, of course, it's too late for it to be of any good in this scenario. I just received a letter from one of my neighbor's insurance company. (I don't think it'll be the last one I see.) The letter says: "Our investigation of the accident reveals you are responsible. If you carry liability insurance to cover this loss, forward this letter to your insurance company. If you do not carry insurance, please send us $3,513.00 within the next 10 days". My dad says not to pay, but I sure would appreciate a second opinion! What do you think I should do? Thanks so much for providing this GREAT service!
sincerely,
"Bungeed to the bed"

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lerouxt:
Hi, I live in Ohio and I recently had a flood in my apartment that caused extensive damage to some of my neighbors' apartments and personal possessions. I went to sleep on the 14th of October (alone) and woke to find the stopper in the tub, the faucet on full blast, and my apartment flooded. My apartment and my possessions were not severely damaged, but my downstairs neighbors' apartment was trashed. I HONESTLY do not know how the stopper got in the tub nor do I know how the water got turned on. I can only surmise that I must have been sleepwalking. There was EXTENSIVE damage to seven different apartments. I estimate that the total damage could be as much as $50,000. I simply do not have that kind of money. I had just recently moved in and had not yet purchased renters' insurance. I have since purchased that insurance, but, of course, it's too late for it to be of any good in this scenario. I just received a letter from one of my neighbor's insurance company. (I don't think it'll be the last one I see.) The letter says: "Our investigation of the accident reveals you are responsible. If you carry liability insurance to cover this loss, forward this letter to your insurance company. If you do not carry insurance, please send us $3,513.00 within the next 10 days". My dad says not to pay, but I sure would appreciate a second opinion! What do you think I should do? Thanks so much for providing this GREAT service!
sincerely,
"Bungeed to the bed"
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do not pay anything or agree to anything or admit fault. Hire an attorney right away.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">