• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sucked down the drain by landlord

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MelissaCauley

Help!!!

I recently rleocated to a amall town in Athens, Alabama. I am not sure what the laws are in the state of Alabama.

The question I have is ........Can my landlord turn off the power and water?

Problem: On October 20, 2000 my landlord arrived at my home at 8:30 pm and gave me a written notice telling me I have been evicted for failure to pay utiltity bills and rent. The problem is that yes, my rent was only 2 days late...but on the same night he presented me with the utility bills he recieved and he informed me that he was turning off the power and water on Monday. This was the first time I had seen these bills. One bill was for approx 18.00 and the other for approx. 12. He then told me that he would pay for the electric bill since it was the electric bill for the previous month before I moved in. On Monday October 23, 2000 around 12:30 in the afternoon the power and water companies arrived and turned off the power and water.

Due to not having water or power we can't stay in the home and has forced us to move in with my sister with understanding of having to pay her for half of her rent. Now this has put me in a financial hardship. I can't catch the rent up due to paying my sister rent due to him shutting those items off. What can I do? What are my legal rights. I have decided to move in with my sister and we have begun moving out my property from the trailer. But, with the financial hardship this has put me in....I can't rent a U-haul truck until Friday the Nov.3. Can my landlord hard my property that I haven't been able to get out of the trailer? Can I get my deposit back from the landlord. I gave him a 400 deposit. Am I entitled to my deposit returned back to me.

Please respond soon......time is running out for me.....until he serves me another 10 day notice by the sherriff dept.

Melissa

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MelissaCauley:
Help!!!

I recently rleocated to a amall town in Athens, Alabama. I am not sure what the laws are in the state of Alabama.

The question I have is ........Can my landlord turn off the power and water?

Problem: On October 20, 2000 my landlord arrived at my home at 8:30 pm and gave me a written notice telling me I have been evicted for failure to pay utiltity bills and rent. The problem is that yes, my rent was only 2 days late...but on the same night he presented me with the utility bills he recieved and he informed me that he was turning off the power and water on Monday. This was the first time I had seen these bills. One bill was for approx 18.00 and the other for approx. 12. He then told me that he would pay for the electric bill since it was the electric bill for the previous month before I moved in. On Monday October 23, 2000 around 12:30 in the afternoon the power and water companies arrived and turned off the power and water.

Due to not having water or power we can't stay in the home and has forced us to move in with my sister with understanding of having to pay her for half of her rent. Now this has put me in a financial hardship. I can't catch the rent up due to paying my sister rent due to him shutting those items off. What can I do? What are my legal rights. I have decided to move in with my sister and we have begun moving out my property from the trailer. But, with the financial hardship this has put me in....I can't rent a U-haul truck until Friday the Nov.3. Can my landlord hard my property that I haven't been able to get out of the trailer? Can I get my deposit back from the landlord. I gave him a 400 deposit. Am I entitled to my deposit returned back to me.

Please respond soon......time is running out for me.....until he serves me another 10 day notice by the sherriff dept.

Melissa
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is illegal for L to turn off the utilities. File a counterclaim against L and seek damages along with your security deposit.

M

MelissaCauley

We are moving out the property....we went out to the trailer today.....to move some things out....and to our amazement the trailer had been ramsacked and things were stolen. We reported the incident to the local sheriff dept and went to the landlord and explained to him what had happened. I asked the landlord for his property insurance information and he refused to give it me. Items taken were irreplacable and some were very expensive items. Explained to landlord that he should have gave us a key to the property when we moved and he did not provide us with a key for the trailer when we moved in....when asked him why he didn't provide key...his statement was "a key?" Now, why would I do that? Explained to Sherriff Dept. that landlord did not provide key.....and that someone always had to stay here when we were staying there....but it is hard to stay there when there is no power or water......so what can we do now.......as I understand property insurance....can't we file the claim against his property insurance companies for items that were stolen on his property? As I believe I don't thing Alabama has a requirement for Renter's Insurance.

Help with answers
thanks,
Melissa

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MelissaCauley:
We are moving out the property....we went out to the trailer today.....to move some things out....and to our amazement the trailer had been ramsacked and things were stolen. We reported the incident to the local sheriff dept and went to the landlord and explained to him what had happened. I asked the landlord for his property insurance information and he refused to give it me. Items taken were irreplacable and some were very expensive items. Explained to landlord that he should have gave us a key to the property when we moved and he did not provide us with a key for the trailer when we moved in....when asked him why he didn't provide key...his statement was "a key?" Now, why would I do that? Explained to Sherriff Dept. that landlord did not provide key.....and that someone always had to stay here when we were staying there....but it is hard to stay there when there is no power or water......so what can we do now.......as I understand property insurance....can't we file the claim against his property insurance companies for items that were stolen on his property? As I believe I don't thing Alabama has a requirement for Renter's Insurance.

Help with answers
thanks,
Melissa
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

L's insurance would not cover your personal possessions. Only renters insurance would.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">