• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fighting a ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

notguilty101

CT
Recently I was given a ticket for a 14-301, which the officer described as "failure to obey stop sign". The ticket was given after an accident. In the official police report written by the same officer, he states that I "was stopped at the stop sign." He stated that my offense was "proceeding when it wasn't safe" but I am wondering if the report warrants that kind of ticket. Here is the offense, 14-301 (part c, because the other parts have nothing to do with drivers) according to the Connecticut law books:

"The driver of a vehicle shall stop in obedience to a stop sign at such clearly marked stop line or lines as may be established by the traffic authority having jurisdiction or, in the absence of such line or lines, shall stop in obedience to a stop sign at the entrance to a through highway and shall yield the right-of-way to vehicles not so obliged to stop which are within the intersection or approaching so closely as to constitute an immediate hazard."

From my own standpoint I can see at least four different clauses. In my opinion, the officer agrees that I stopped and stopped at the stop sign. At the very worst, I am only in violation of the last two. But I heard that a person has to be found guilty of every single clause in the law described in a ticket to be convicted. Does anyone out there know about this or have prior experience with a situation like this? Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">