• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Break of verbal contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

alilbitat

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?Michigan

I was wondering if this is a break of a verbal contract. I was working a part time job, then was offered a position for a friend of mine as a live in nanny. She and I had a verbal agreement that I was going to move in with her so I was there to watch her new born baby for when she went to work on call for a medical agency. After she and I moved into the house she never went back to work. It was the agreement that she didn't charge me rent until she started working. To make a long story short, she never went back to work, and now she is threatening me by saying she is going to take me to small claims court for back rent owed. I ended up moving out, getting my other job back because I felt she went back on our original agreement. Is this a form of break of verbal contract? If she takes me to court, is there a way that I can counter sue for lost of wages? If she does take me to court I was just wanting to know where I stand.

BradleyS

Depending on your state law..........usually any verbal agreement over $500.00 needs to be in writing or sworn in front of a notary, etc.

alilbitat

Ok, but what if the amount that she says I owe is less than 500.00, is it still concidered a break of verbal contract? Also if she does go and take me to small claims, could I counter sue for loss wages due to her break of the verbal contract? Thanks

JETX

alilbitat said:
Ok, but what if the amount that she says I owe is less than 500.00, is it still concidered a break of verbal contract?
Okay, lets make this real simple.
Based solely on the contents of your post, yes, she would be in breach of a verbal contract.
However, the realities are:
1) How will you PROVE to a court that such a contract existed??
2) How will you PROVE to a court what the terms of the contract were??
3) What REAL damages have you incurred due to this breach??
4) Are you really willing to spend a hundred dollars or so, plus several hours in court, etc., just to try to prove you're right??

Also if she does go and take me to small claims, could I counter sue for loss wages due to her break of the verbal contract? Thanks
You can countersue or counter-claim anything your little heart desires. After all, anyone can sue almost anyone else over almost anything. However, unless you can answer the above questions to the satisfaction of the court, you have little or no chance of 'winning'.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">