• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

rent hike

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kevin1

I have a problem. I've been living in the same apartment for 15 years. Last Dec. my rent was increased from 9oo. to 975. I just got a letter from my landlord telling me that this Dec. it will now be 1100. I'm furious. He has done only cosmetic work on the building in the last year, and hasn't made any repairs at all in my apartment. I have shown him over the years all the repairs that are needed, but they never get done. I want to tell him without being belligerent that this is unacceptable, and that the only way I will agree to this is if all these repairs are made first. Actually, most of these things I could live with if there was no rent increase. I just think that a 200. increase in one year with no improvements is ridiculous. I don't have a lease, and have generally gotten along with this man personally. I sort of was under the impression that we had a gentlemens' agreement; I don't hound you every day for repairs, and you don't raise my rent. That appears to have gone out the window. What are my legal options? By the way, I am a very good tenant, always pay rent on time, am quiet. He has said so himself on several occasions. Thanks, kevin1

D

David J. Miller

Where do you live? L/T laws are different in each state.

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kevin1:
I have a problem. I've been living in the same apartment for 15 years. Last Dec. my rent was increased from 9oo. to 975. I just got a letter from my landlord telling me that this Dec. it will now be 1100. I'm furious. He has done only cosmetic work on the building in the last year, and hasn't made any repairs at all in my apartment. I have shown him over the years all the repairs that are needed, but they never get done. I want to tell him without being belligerent that this is unacceptable, and that the only way I will agree to this is if all these repairs are made first. Actually, most of these things I could live with if there was no rent increase. I just think that a 200. increase in one year with no improvements is ridiculous. I don't have a lease, and have generally gotten along with this man personally. I sort of was under the impression that we had a gentlemens' agreement; I don't hound you every day for repairs, and you don't raise my rent. That appears to have gone out the window. What are my legal options? By the way, I am a very good tenant, always pay rent on time, am quiet. He has said so himself on several occasions. Thanks, kevin1<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you have no fixed lease, L can raise the rent many times as long as proper legal notice is/was given. L can even raise the rent to $2000 per month without fixing cosmetic things. If you have health, safety, building code violations, electrical, structural, mechanical/plumbing problems, then L is required by law to remedy them.

K

kevin1

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David J. Miller:
Where do you live? L/T laws are different in each state.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

NEW YORK

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kevin1:
NEW YORK

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh, Noo Yawk. Do you live in a rent control area? If not then my response to your original post stands.

[This message has been edited by HomeGuru (edited October 30, 2000).]

K

kevin1

Thanks for the info. But can I withold the increase until he fixes the problems, or do I just have to eat it until he gets around to fixing everything? Plus, can he be spiteful and say that since he's fixing everything, now the rent is even more? I,m looking for the best strategy to deal with this.
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HomeGuru:
If you have no fixed lease, L can raise the rent many times as long as proper legal notice is/was given. L can even raise the rent to $2000 per month without fixing cosmetic things. If you have health, safety, building code violations, electrical, structural, mechanical/plumbing problems, then L is required by law to remedy them.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

HomeGuru

Thanks for the info. But can I withold the increase until he fixes the problems, or do I just have to eat it until he gets around to fixing everything? Plus, can he be spiteful and say that since he's fixing everything, now the rent is even more? I,m looking for the best strategy to deal with this.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't know since you have not stated the type repairs that you feel are needed.

K

kevin1

OK. I have 1 and a half bathrooms, and the small one's toilet needs replacing (I had it checked by a plumber), the faucet produces no water which is good because the sink doesn't drain. The stopper for the bathtub in the other one doesn't work so it's showers only, I have a drop ceiling in another room that's literally dropping. It's sagging and open so I can see the concrete above the tiles. He promised me a new ceiling three years ago. He's never painted the apartment in 15 years that I've been there. I re-did the kitchen myself about 4 yrs ago and never even charged him for the supplies. One of the bedroom floors is on a 10 degree slant. I can't run my air conditioner and my toaster at the same time without blowing the circuit breaker. That's about all I can think of right now. Thanks

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HomeGuru:
I don't know since you have not stated the type repairs that you feel are needed.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

HomeGuru

OK. I have 1 and a half bathrooms, and the small one's toilet needs replacing (I had it checked by a plumber), the faucet produces no water which is good because the sink doesn't drain. The stopper for the bathtub in the other one doesn't work so it's showers only, I have a drop ceiling in another room that's literally dropping. It's sagging and open so I can see the concrete above the tiles. He promised me a new ceiling three years ago. He's never painted the apartment in 15 years that I've been there. I re-did the kitchen myself about 4 yrs ago and never even charged him for the supplies. One of the bedroom floors is on a 10 degree slant. I can't run my air conditioner and my toaster at the same time without blowing the circuit breaker. That's about all I can think of right now. Thanks

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok, some of those are critical items that L is responsible to repair.

K

kevin1

Can I refuse to pay the increase until the repairs are made? Any idea what my rights are in this situation? If I want a lease so this doesn't happen again, does he have to give me one? He can't say I'm a bad tenant. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HomeGuru:
Ok, some of those are critical items that L is responsible to repair.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

HomeGuru

Can I refuse to pay the increase until the repairs are made? Any idea what my rights are in this situation? If I want a lease so this doesn't happen again, does he have to give me one? He can't say I'm a bad tenant. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes you can refuse to pay the increase but you must give L proper notice. L is not required to give you a lease.

K

kevin1

THANKS FOR EVERYTHING, KEVIN

Yes you can refuse to pay the increase but you must give L proper notice. L is not required to give you a lease.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">