• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

method of payment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

calmom502

What is the name of your state? California
I am receiving alimony from ex in Nevada. He pays every month on time. This man seems to always find a way to push buttons with me. Now he has sent me a check that I can't cash because we don't have that Bank here. I don't have a Bank account because I live from Paycheck to Paycheck and just buy money orders to pay bills. It will cost me 12 percent of the check to cash. To open an account now would not help because they will hold it for 11 days. Do I have the right to tell him from now on to send a cashiers check from a well known bank? Any suggestions would be appreciated. My ex knows I don't have an account. Just another way to try and make me unhappy with his little games.

nextwife

Good grief. Checks are a standard form of transferring money. Banks merge, get bought out, change names etc. I doubt he chose to have a banking relationship with that particular bank just to annoy you. A payor is not supposed to need to track which banks currently have available branches in your area. Surely you don't expect him to send CASH.

Many banks offer free checking if you have your pay set up for automatic deposit. Why not look into that? It makes no sense to go on without checking access. A person doesn't need a lot of money to have a checking account. I've had one since my first part time job at age 16.

ablessin

sounds like you need to open an account -

I live paycheck to paycheck too, but I'll be dammed if i am going to pay 59 cents for every money order I need - - or more! Some are 79 cents, I have seen them even more than that!

No freaking way!

If you get a checking account, you can do online billpay, which is what I do. I don't write many checks any more, and the electric company gets their money wired to them! It's free and it's very convenient

VeronicaGia

calmom502 said:
What is the name of your state? California
I am receiving alimony from ex in Nevada. He pays every month on time. This man seems to always find a way to push buttons with me. Now he has sent me a check that I can't cash because we don't have that Bank here. I don't have a Bank account because I live from Paycheck to Paycheck and just buy money orders to pay bills. It will cost me 12 percent of the check to cash. To open an account now would not help because they will hold it for 11 days. Do I have the right to tell him from now on to send a cashiers check from a well known bank? Any suggestions would be appreciated. My ex knows I don't have an account. Just another way to try and make me unhappy with his little games.
You need to open an account! He's not pushing buttons, you're being unreasonable when you say you do not want to open an account so he has to send some other form of payment because it is inconvenient for you to cash his check. You do not have the right to tell him how to pay, he can pay you in pennies if he wants.

He's not making you unhappy or anything else. You brought this on yourself by not having a bank account of any kind.

What if he stops paying? What will you do then? You need to get your life together and stop relying on your EX to pay your way through life.

nextwife

VG is correct. My dad walked out the door one morning and had a grand mall seizure, which was followed by a brain tumor, and permanent disablity . DO not allow yourself to be so totally dependent upon another person.

You are complaining that your ex SENT you the court ordered amount, on time, and that he had the audacity to expect you to deal with recieving it by check? The way most all of America exchanges funds? Get a grip. Get a checking account for pete's sake! It's not your ex's fault you don't have one. I doubt your court order states he can ONLY send alimony using checks from banks that have branches in YOUR area.

If he fell ill tomorrow and ended up lying in a hospital somewhere, how would you manage?

calmom502

California
OK OK You were all correct!! Went out and got an account. Thanks to all for the wake up call. Things could be worse . Thanks again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">