• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

tenants late on rent but change date on check

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

shinzbright

my tenants have been late on their rent several times but they keep dating their checks so it looks as if it is not late did not think much of it when they were 1week or so behind but now they are close to 3weeks and they send a check dated the date it is due How can I protect my self to prove that they are late should I keep all of the post marked envelopes to show when it was mailed??

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by shinzbright:
my tenants have been late on their rent several times but they keep dating their checks so it looks as if it is not late did not think much of it when they were 1week or so behind but now they are close to 3weeks and they send a check dated the date it is due How can I protect my self to prove that they are late should I keep all of the post marked envelopes to show when it was mailed??<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's the old tenants pay late but act like it's on time game. By the way, the date on the checks were not changed, the check was backdated. You are correct, you need to keep the evidence which would be the envelopes bearing the postmark.
How to overcome this? Easy. Ater a couple of days past the due date, call the tenants and keep a diary of what is said. That way, you may hear, I've mailed it already or I forgot. Less tricks thay can play.
In addition when the checks are late, I send a nice letter informing them that I received your check dated Oct 2 on Oct 15 and it appears that you are delayed in getting to the post office, please be reminded that there is a late fee if payment is not received by____. Still another way is: Dear T, I just received your rent check dated____. Enclosed is a copy of your check together with the postmarked envelope. You are notified that pursuant to your lease agreement, a late fee of _______must be paid if your rent is late. Therefore please remit the amount of $_______ which represents the late fee, within 5 days.

With some consistantly late tenants, I even mailed them a years supply of preaddressed stamped envelopes. They had no excuse for paying late then.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">