• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

mortgage/divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

V

vgl614

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi from Colorado:
I am divorced, my exhusband signed over his ownership in the house to me. He would now like his name off the mortgage. (It's in both our names now-he was the major income earner. 1) If the mortgage Co finds out he no longer has ownership in the house, can they "call in" the mortgage? 2) Can they force me to refinance at today's higher interest rates? 3) what if I can't qualify for a refinance? (my income is substantially lower than my ex's)4) Are there laws to govern what a mortgage Co can/can't do in this situation? thanks for your help!! vgl

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by vgl614:
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Delete those first 3 lines of your post.

D

David J. Miller

As long as you make timely payments the mortgage company will not call the note due.

My suggestion: Once you have made 6 monthly payments on your own, contact a mortgage company to refinance. Make sure you have the canceled checks to prove that you made the payments on your own. They should give you credit for having a history of making the payments on your own. If the checks are drawn from an account that currently has your ex-husbands name on it, open a new account without his name on it and begin to make payments from that account. They will also request a copy of the divorce decree or property settlement agreement.
Before doing the above though, call a mortgage company and find out if you can refinance on your own based on your income. Your properties equity will be a big part if you have any.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">