• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I become a police officer?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gainsvileboy

What is the name of your state? California

In 2000 I was convicted of submiting a false document which is a felony according to Insurance Code. Anyhow, I have done my time and completed my probation with no other convictions. The judge told me that after I completed my formal probation that I could file for what he called a 17b and have my probation dropped to a misdemeanor. Is there a time limit to file the 17b motion? I finished my probation 2 years ago. Also is it possible to ask the courts to seal the record? I am trying to apply to become a county sheriff. As a felon I can't carry a gun so there for I can't apply is this correct. Can I pettition this law? Also I work at a bank and when they did my background check my felony didn't show up so does tht mean I'm not a felon?

CdwJava

gainsvileboy said:
What is the name of your state? California

In 2000 I was convicted of submiting a false document which is a felony according to Insurance Code. Anyhow, I have done my time and completed my probation with no other convictions. The judge told me that after I completed my formal probation that I could file for what he called a 17b and have my probation dropped to a misdemeanor. Is there a time limit to file the 17b motion? I finished my probation 2 years ago. Also is it possible to ask the courts to seal the record? I am trying to apply to become a county sheriff. As a felon I can't carry a gun so there for I can't apply is this correct. Can I pettition this law? Also I work at a bank and when they did my background check my felony didn't show up so does tht mean I'm not a felon?
You'll have to ask your attorney about the 17b motion.

As for the bank, they don't have access to California's Criminal Offender Records so they wouldn't have your conviction info. If they took your prints and submitted them to DOJ, then apparently your offense did not come back as being one that would disqualify you from working in the bank (kinda surprising to me, but it's possible).

Even if your record is "sealed" it WILL be accessable to a law enforcement background. You will be REQUIRED to disclose any and all arrests and convictions. Currently, as a felon, you are automatically barred from employment as a peace officer under federal and CA state law. Frankly, even if you DO get the conviction reduced, the chances of your being employed as a peace officer without a lot of intervening years and glowing accomplishments is somewhere between 'impossible' and 'not gonna happen'.

Sorry, but your ONLY chance is to get that reduced. And even that reduction will not make it much easier to get employed as a peace officer.

- Carl

Police Officer

Different jurisdictions have different regulations governing police officers. In Nashville, TN, you will not be considered for the job even if lowered to a misd. Expunged records still show up in the FBI database, which law enforcement agencies access. However, there are other jobs available in the criminal justice field that you might consider. For example, have the charge lowered and consider teaching criminal justice classes at a local school after completing the degree required.

fbi datebase

you can have the records at the fbi database removed if you find out how to go about it. why whould you want to become a cop though?

CdwJava

pittsmark6 said:
you can have the records at the fbi database removed if you find out how to go about it. why whould you want to become a cop though?
What are you talking about?

Any FBI criminal history he MIGHT have is not going to just disappear. But since this is a state conviction, the record lies with California anyway.

And while his chance to become a cop is almost nil, it's a great career for the rest of us!

- Carl

gun ownership

if you work at a bank my advice would be to keep that job until you have your record cleared (which i heard even felony charges can be) you can use your job at a bank as a reason to get what they call relief of something or something of relief. I'm not sure though what its called. the first thing you need to do is get your fbi file though it would save you money having an attorney do that part. you need to get a fingerprint kit i read and send your fingerprints into them plus some money for the search and copying of your record in order to get the file but i'm not sure if you even need to do that.

how to clear your record

Ok, I found the name of the book its called How to clear your adult and juvenile criminal records by William A. Rinehart. its published by loompanics unlimited in port townsend, washington. don't know where you can get their catalog (might try the internet) but they have lots of good books on getting fake ID, metiod of disguises, how to make LSD and other drugs, making sliencers, etc. anyway in this book he say he had 3 felony convicions, over misdemeanors, been in prison and had them all cleared and ended up becoming a prison security guard, worked for some child protection place needing fbi clearance, and he has the right to bear arms. the book states anybody can do it without a lawyer so yes you could become a police officer, but you'll need to buy the book cause i'm going to type it all out on how to go about it.

CdwJava

Prisons in some states have very lax requirements for prison guards. Police officers are governed by state and federal standards.

And I don't care what the author of this book says, a felony conviction will be an automatic bar to employment as a peace officer under both federl and state law. If the charges are reduced, there is a TECHNICAL chance to be hired, but most agencies would never even consider it. A fraud conviction is one of those moral turpitude crimes that would forever taint the officer's testimony.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">