• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal Fees

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Johnson

I am curious as to why, in Real Estate Law, legal fees are not awarded to the prevailing party? Specifically in property disputes. It seems interesting to me yet I just can't seem to understand the logic behind this. Now, how about this woman chain-sawing my gazebo to the ground and fencing off my personal belongings? Can't I sue her for something...anything...without fear of having to pay the legal fees if I prevail?

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Johnson:
I am curious as to why, in Real Estate Law, legal fees are not awarded to the prevailing party? Specifically in property disputes. It seems interesting to me yet I just can't seem to understand the logic behind this. Now, how about this woman chain-sawing my gazebo to the ground and fencing off my personal belongings? Can't I sue her for something...anything...without fear of having to pay the legal fees if I prevail? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Who said that?

J

Johnson

Well, both attorneys we have spoken with have been very upfront about fees not being awarded in what are known as 'neighbor wars'and/or property disputes. You know, HomeGuru, we were quite happy and content with the way our property was set up. We are not having the dispute, the neighbor is. This mess is going to quit possibly cost alot of money that we do not have. The check we wrote two days ago has to come out of the mortgage payment or the truck payment or both. Possible more sureveys, soil tests for septic, permits, septic designers, plus the very real possiblity of a $30,000 septic system being required. All paid for by us with no recourse to recover any of the monies from her. Guess I should have planted a few turnips so I could have squeezed the blood out of them, huh? If you have any suggestions as to what I could recommend to our Attorney, please toss 'em at me. This neighbor is ruining us. We are going to get so deep in debt that we may very well sink. Johnson

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">